Обсуждение: PostgreSQL and Solaris 7?

PostgreSQL and Solaris 7?

От
"Daryl W. Dunbar"
Дата:
Hello,

I am running 6.4.2 on Sparc/Solaris 2.7.  Occasionally (far more
often than I would like - which is never :), the postmaster refuses
connections.  Upon investigation, there are 48 postmaster processes
running.  If one kills the parent and restarts, all is well for some
time.  Attached is a chunk of output from postmaster, unfortunately
it does not timestamp, so it is hard to see when what happened.  I'm
most disturbed about the device space message.  None of my disks are
even close to full, nor have been...

Help! Advice? Ways to gather further info?  Is this a Solaris 7
thing?

Also, is the 48 number configurable?  It almost looks as though that
is the maximum number of outstanding queries I can have at one time?

TIA,

DwD
--
Daryl W. Dunbar
http://www.com, Where the Web Begins!

Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL and Solaris 7?

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Daryl W. Dunbar wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running 6.4.2 on Sparc/Solaris 2.7.  Occasionally (far more
> often than I would like - which is never :), the postmaster refuses
> connections.  Upon investigation, there are 48 postmaster processes
> running.  If one kills the parent and restarts, all is well for some
> time.  Attached is a chunk of output from postmaster, unfortunately
> it does not timestamp, so it is hard to see when what happened.  I'm
> most disturbed about the device space message.  None of my disks are
> even close to full, nor have been...
>
> Help! Advice? Ways to gather further info?  Is this a Solaris 7
> thing?

We just got our Solaris 7 CDs, and I'm going to be installing it on one of
our quieter machines in coming weeks, but...

have you tried doing a 'truss -p' on the parent process?

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL and Solaris 7?

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
Reproduced here too. (Solaris 2.6)

>On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Daryl W. Dunbar wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am running 6.4.2 on Sparc/Solaris 2.7.  Occasionally (far more
>> often than I would like - which is never :), the postmaster refuses
>> connections.  Upon investigation, there are 48 postmaster processes
>> running.  If one kills the parent and restarts, all is well for some
>> time.  Attached is a chunk of output from postmaster, unfortunately
>> it does not timestamp, so it is hard to see when what happened.  I'm
>> most disturbed about the device space message.  None of my disks are
>> even close to full, nor have been...
>>
>> Help! Advice? Ways to gather further info?  Is this a Solaris 7
>> thing?
>
>We just got our Solaris 7 CDs, and I'm going to be installing it on one of
>our quieter machines in coming weeks, but...
>
>have you tried doing a 'truss -p' on the parent process?

Increasing # of semaphores should solve the problem, I guess. I'm
going to try that as soon as I find the way to increase semaphores.
---
Tatsuo Ishii