Обсуждение: Connect to server PG from laptop java app

Connect to server PG from laptop java app

От
Jennifer Trey
Дата:
Hi, I am trying to create my DB schema on the server through my development laptop.

I have installed Web Server 2008 and PostgreSQL. They are both running. For some reason its not working. Do I need to open some firewall ports? PostgreSQL runs on 5432. ( I think I did that though). Do I need to configure PG somehow as well?

Thanks / Jennifer

Re: Connect to server PG from laptop java app

От
Jennifer Trey
Дата:
no pg_hba entry for host 85.235.... user postgres, database xxx .. ssl off ...

?? I guess that means that I need to set up pg then..

how is the question now :)

/ Jen

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
On 05/04/2009 19:28, Jennifer Trey wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to create my DB schema on the server through my development
> laptop.
> I have installed Web Server 2008 and PostgreSQL. They are both running. For
> some reason its not working. Do I need to open some firewall ports?
> PostgreSQL runs on 5432. ( I think I did that though). Do I need to
> configure PG somehow as well?

What does it say in the postgres logs?

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Connect to server PG from laptop java app

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 05/04/2009 19:52, Jennifer Trey wrote:
> no pg_hba entry for host 85.235.... user postgres, database xxx .. ssl off

Ah... you need to edit pg_hba.conf and add an entry for the client to
allow it access.

The documentation in the file itself is pretty good, and there's more here:

  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

HTH,

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Connect to server PG from laptop java app

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 05/04/2009 19:52, Jennifer Trey wrote:
> no pg_hba entry for host 85.235.... user postgres, database xxx .. ssl off

I meant to add too that pg_hba.comf is found in the top level of your
PostgreSQL data directory.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Connect to server PG from laptop java app

От
ries van Twisk
Дата:
On Apr 5, 2009, at 1:28 PM, Jennifer Trey wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to create my DB schema on the server through my
> development laptop.
>
> I have installed Web Server 2008 and PostgreSQL. They are both
> running. For some reason its not working.

Define : "it's"

> Do I need to open some firewall ports?

maybe, please use some network probe tool (telnet even!!)

> PostgreSQL runs on 5432. ( I think I did that though).

Yes

> Do I need to configure PG somehow as well?

properly...

Please read the docs on how to setup PG tfor remote access.
If you use a search engine please search for pg_hba.conf.

I don't know what Web Server 2008 and can't help you there,

Ries

> Thanks / Jennifer

Re: Connect to server PG from laptop java app

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On Sunday 05 April 2009 11:28:09 am Jennifer Trey wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to create my DB schema on the server through my development
> laptop.
> I have installed Web Server 2008 and PostgreSQL. They are both running. For
> some reason its not working. Do I need to open some firewall ports?
> PostgreSQL runs on 5432. ( I think I did that though). Do I need to
> configure PG somehow as well?
>
> Thanks / Jennifer

This begs several questions, but first let me see if I can sketch out the
layout.

Laptop(OS ?) <--> App(Java) <--> WebServer 2008(Windows) <--> Postgres(Version?)

Questions:
1) Is logging enabled at the various points in the chain and if so what do the
logs say?
2) Is there an authentication mechanism and if so, is the correct information
being passed through the chain?
3) Do you have network connectivity outside this above chain i.e can you ping
the server from the laptop?

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net

Re: Connect to server PG from laptop java app

От
Johan Nel
Дата:
Jennifer,

Jennifer Trey wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to create my DB schema on the server through my
> development laptop.
>
> I have installed Web Server 2008 and PostgreSQL. They are both running.
> For some reason its not working. Do I need to open some firewall ports?
> PostgreSQL runs on 5432. ( I think I did that though). Do I need to
> configure PG somehow as well?

Default PG installation is setup to work only on localhost or 127.0.0.1

You need to edit your pg_hba.conf file too.  Look for the lines:
# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5

Add a line below that depending the IP address range that you want to
connect from, similar to:
host all all 10.0.0.1/8 md5

Remember to reload your configuration.

HTH,

Johan Nel
Pretoria, South Africa.

Re: Connect to server PG from laptop java app

От
Colin Streicher
Дата:
Also, I don't know if this applies to windows systems, but on linux systems
you have to also modify postgresql.conf
On my system, it is in the same directory as pg_hba.conf
looks like this:

# CONNECTIONS AND AUTHENTICATION

# - Connection Settings -

listen_addresses = '192.168.1.101'              # what IP address(es) to
listen on;

The address here is mine,  it is set to localhost or 127.0.0.1 by default

On Sunday 05 April 2009 15:27:14 Johan Nel wrote:
> Jennifer,
>
> Jennifer Trey wrote:
> > Hi, I am trying to create my DB schema on the server through my
> > development laptop.
> >
> > I have installed Web Server 2008 and PostgreSQL. They are both running.
> > For some reason its not working. Do I need to open some firewall ports?
> > PostgreSQL runs on 5432. ( I think I did that though). Do I need to
> > configure PG somehow as well?
>
> Default PG installation is setup to work only on localhost or 127.0.0.1
>
> You need to edit your pg_hba.conf file too.  Look for the lines:
> # IPv4 local connections:
> host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5
>
> Add a line below that depending the IP address range that you want to
> connect from, similar to:
> host all all 10.0.0.1/8 md5
>
> Remember to reload your configuration.
>
> HTH,
>
> Johan Nel
> Pretoria, South Africa.

Re: Connect to server PG from laptop java app

От
Jasen Betts
Дата:
On 2009-04-05, Johan Nel <johan555.nel555@xsinet555.co.za> wrote:
> Jennifer,
>
> Jennifer Trey wrote:
>> Hi, I am trying to create my DB schema on the server through my
>> development laptop.
>>
>> I have installed Web Server 2008 and PostgreSQL. They are both running.
>> For some reason its not working. Do I need to open some firewall ports?
>> PostgreSQL runs on 5432. ( I think I did that though). Do I need to
>> configure PG somehow as well?
>
> Default PG installation is setup to work only on localhost or 127.0.0.1

No. The default is localhost only. if you need 127.0.0.1 you may need to add
it.

Operating systems are moving to IP6 and a recent windows(?) update saw
localhost move to ::1 (from 127.0.0.1) for me this broke some things
that were expecting to find postgres on 127.0.0.1