Обсуждение: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?

Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?

От
novnov
Дата:
I have postgres 8.1 installed on ubuntu 6.10 via synapic package manager. I
would like to install 8.2, but it's not offered in the list. I think 8.2 is
offered on 7.x ubuntu, and I wonder if 8.2 will be offered on 6.10? Probably
the recommondation will be to compile 8.2 on 6.10, but I've only used binary
installations on linux and am not eager to open up another can of worms.

In a way I would like to move to the later ubuntu distro. But I'm concerned
that since my eventual deploy may be on something fairly barebones like
centos, it might be good to stay with the somewhat less polished version of
ubuntu...not sure if there is any value in this approach, but it's hard to
make good choices when one has so little exposure to what the various
options mean.

Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?

От
Hannes Dorbath
Дата:
On 10.07.2007 03:09, novnov wrote:
> I have postgres 8.1 installed on ubuntu 6.10 via synapic package manager. I
> would like to install 8.2, but it's not offered in the list. I think 8.2 is
> offered on 7.x ubuntu, and I wonder if 8.2 will be offered on 6.10? Probably
> the recommondation will be to compile 8.2 on 6.10, but I've only used binary
> installations on linux and am not eager to open up another can of worms.

I might be missing something, but why can't you just grab the package
from sites like this:

http://rpmseek.com/rpm-pl/postgresql-8.2.html?hl=de&cx=824%3AP%3A0%3A0%3A0%3A0%3A0&qDnStr=109&qArStr=1&qRtStr=2

and install it?

Hannes Dorbath

Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?

От
"Jan Muszynski"
Дата:
On 10 Jul 2007 at 9:13, Hannes Dorbath wrote:

On 10.07.2007 03:09, novnov wrote:
> I have postgres 8.1 installed on ubuntu 6.10 via synapic package manager. I
> would like to install 8.2, but it's not offered in the list. I think 8.2 is
> offered on 7.x ubuntu, and I wonder if 8.2 will be offered on 6.10? Probably
> the recommondation will be to compile 8.2 on 6.10, but I've only used binary
> installations on linux and am not eager to open up another can of worms.

Use ubuntu backports. Add:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-backports main restricted
universe multiverse

to /etc/apt/sources.list (by using sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list)

The newer postgres versions will be available (I think 8.2.4 is there at
the moment). For more info check out the ubuntu backports forum at:
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47

HTH

Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?

От
Dimitri Fontaine
Дата:
Le mardi 10 juillet 2007, novnov a écrit :
> I have postgres 8.1 installed on ubuntu 6.10 via synapic package manager. I
> would like to install 8.2, but it's not offered in the list. I think 8.2 is
> offered on 7.x ubuntu, and I wonder if 8.2 will be offered on 6.10?
> Probably the recommondation will be to compile 8.2 on 6.10, but I've only
> used binary installations on linux and am not eager to open up another can
> of worms.

You can backport PostgreSQL on debian platforms quite easily, as related here:
  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2007-05/msg00427.php

But using the backports as given on another post is still easier, and provides
automatic upgrades of minor versions. Just though you might be interrested in
how to easily recompile a postgresql package under your system. Think about
replacing the deb-src sid target by ubuntu feisty (or newer, don't know) one.

dim

Вложения

Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?

От
Leonel
Дата:
On 7/9/07, novnov <novnovice@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have postgres 8.1 installed on ubuntu 6.10 via synapic package manager. I
> would like to install 8.2, but it's not offered in the list. I think 8.2 is
> offered on 7.x ubuntu, and I wonder if 8.2 will be offered on 6.10? Probably
> the recommondation will be to compile 8.2 on 6.10, but I've only used binary
> installations on linux and am not eager to open up another can of worms.
>
> In a way I would like to move to the later ubuntu distro. But I'm concerned
> that since my eventual deploy may be on something fairly barebones like
> centos, it might be good to stay with the somewhat less polished version of
> ubuntu...not sure if there is any value in this approach, but it's hard to
> make good choices when one has so little exposure to what the various
> options mean.

There won't be a release for postgresql 8.2 for  ubuntu 6.10
you can :
1 upgrade to ubuntu feisty  with      sudo "update-manager -c -d"
2 request a backport
3 do the backport yourserf
4 compile from source

--
Leonel

Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?

От
novnov
Дата:
Thanks all of you. It does seem like the backport is the way to go.

So now I have 8.2 and some new postgres/linux newb questions.

I can safely remove 8.1 after moving data using synaptic, ie 8.2 shouldn't
be dependent on 8.1 at all?

I don't understand how postgres is installed with these package managers.
The windows installer asks me for the superuser name (postgres is the
default) and I provide a password. There is an option to run as a service,
and a windows user acct can be created for that. After the synaptic install,
postgres seems to be running as a service. I see a postgres user account is
created 'postgres' but don't know what the password is?

Finally, I've never been able to get pgadmin to work on linux. I can't
connect, probably because the password is unknown, but another question is
the host address, is localhost is ok?

Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?

От
Mario Guenterberg
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 10:50:39AM -0700, novnov wrote:

> Thanks all of you. It does seem like the backport is the way to go.
>
> So now I have 8.2 and some new postgres/linux newb questions.
>
> I can safely remove 8.1 after moving data using synaptic, ie 8.2 shouldn't
> be dependent on 8.1 at all?
>
> I don't understand how postgres is installed with these package managers.
> The windows installer asks me for the superuser name (postgres is the
> default) and I provide a password. There is an option to run as a service,
> and a windows user acct can be created for that. After the synaptic install,
> postgres seems to be running as a service. I see a postgres user account is
> created 'postgres' but don't know what the password is?
>
> Finally, I've never been able to get pgadmin to work on linux. I can't
> connect, probably because the password is unknown, but another question is
> the host address, is localhost is ok?

Show the doc in /usr/share/doc/postgresql* for details.
If pgadmin runs on the same machine then localhost is your choice.
Don't forget to edit the pg_hda.conf under your data-dir (ex.
/var/lib/pgsql or so).

Greetings
Mario

| havelsoft.com - Ihr Service Partner für Open Source |
| Tel:  033876-21 966                                 |
| Notruf: 0173-277 33 60                              |
| http://www.havelsoft.com                            |
|                                                     |
| Inhaber: Mario Günterberg                           |
| Mützlitzer Strasse 19                               |
| 14715 Märkisch Luch                                 |

Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?

От
"Anton Melser"
Дата:
Just a word of advice... unless you plan to spend lots of time on your
db (like you want to think about it more than twice a week sort of
thing...), just go with what you have in terms of the distro. We are
running 8.1.4. And it just works, yes, even after all this time! You
are certainly behind a good firewall, so if you have X.X.X, and it
works (ie, your developpers have certified for X.X.X), why think about
having the latest? Upgrading to new versions may well expose problems
(like I remember someone talking about query optimisations a while
back) that are non issues. If you are going to be pushing the limits,
then compiling your own versions is not going to be an issue...
Just my 2c
Cheers
Anton
ps. I know, when a new version comes out so often it is soooooooooo
hard to resist!

Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?

От
Hannes Dorbath
Дата:
On 11.07.2007 23:07, Anton Melser wrote:
> Just a word of advice... unless you plan to spend lots of time on your
> db (like you want to think about it more than twice a week sort of
> thing...), just go with what you have in terms of the distro. We are
> running 8.1.4. And it just works, yes, even after all this time! You
> are certainly behind a good firewall, so if you have X.X.X, and it
> works (ie, your developpers have certified for X.X.X), why think about
> having the latest? Upgrading to new versions may well expose problems
> (like I remember someone talking about query optimisations a while
> back) that are non issues. If you are going to be pushing the limits,
> then compiling your own versions is not going to be an issue...
> Just my 2c
> Cheers
> Anton
> ps. I know, when a new version comes out so often it is soooooooooo
> hard to resist!

Well, a good reason for upgrades are fixed bugs, and as minor releases
focus on that, there is a good reason to stay half way up-to-date within
the branch you are using.

This god like faith of some admins in package maintainers, that they
know what's right, good and stable for them, sometimes really worries me.

Besides that.. I'd really expect my distribution to offer me the choice
of what version of PostgreSQL to install.

Hannes Dorbath

Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 09:04:38AM +0200, Hannes Dorbath wrote:
> This god like faith of some admins in package maintainers, that they
> know what's right, good and stable for them, sometimes really worries me.

The problem is the mismatch between what distrbuters want and what the
postgres team wants. For distributors "stable" means no behavioural
changes, whereas the postgresql team does bug fixes, some of which
definitly make behavioural changes that would make previously working
programs break.

Backports is usually a good compromise.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Вложения

Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?

Дата:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 09:04:38AM +0200, Hannes Dorbath wrote:
>> This god like faith of some admins in package maintainers, that they
>> know what's right, good and stable for them, sometimes really worries me.

> The problem is the mismatch between what distrbuters want and what the
> postgres team wants. For distributors "stable" means no behavioural
> changes, whereas the postgresql team does bug fixes, some of which
> definitly make behavioural changes that would make previously working
> programs break.

I think we have a pretty good track record of not doing that except when
it's forced by a need to plug a security hole.

However, distributors certainly have more constraints than one could
wish.  For instance, at Red Hat I can't just push a new Postgres update
into RHEL releases at my whim --- there are company constraints based on
available QA resources and suchlike.  So sometimes the RHEL version of
PG lags behind the community version just because of manpower/scheduling
issues.  They have been pretty good about letting me push security
updates promptly, though.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?

От
novnov
Дата:
I installed 8.2 on ubuntu 6.10 using the backport a while ago. In pgadmin III
I still can't connect to the server settings. When I open server status in
pgadmin on the ubuntu box, it first messages me that server instrumentation
functions are missing and then presents what may be a subset of the server
status. The dialog is for 8.2, 8.1 is no longer installed. But everything
I've read indicates that 8.2 should include what's needed. Using the
synaptic manager I see that postgresql 8.2, -client-8.2, -client-common,
-common, -contrib-8.2 are installed...is there one missing that would bring
the extended server status functionality with it?

novnov wrote:

> Thanks all of you. It does seem like the backport is the way to go.
>
> So now I have 8.2 and some new postgres/linux newb questions.
>
> I can safely remove 8.1 after moving data using synaptic, ie 8.2 shouldn't
> be dependent on 8.1 at all?
>
> I don't understand how postgres is installed with these package managers.
> The windows installer asks me for the superuser name (postgres is the
> default) and I provide a password. There is an option to run as a service,
> and a windows user acct can be created for that. After the synaptic
> install, postgres seems to be running as a service. I see a postgres user
> account is created 'postgres' but don't know what the password is?
>
> Finally, I've never been able to get pgadmin to work on linux. I can't
> connect, probably because the password is unknown, but another question is
> the host address, is localhost is ok?

Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?

От
李彦 Ian Li
Дата:
You may import the adminpack.sql come with the  -contrib-8.2 package
to create those administrative functions.

Regards

novnov wrote:
> I installed 8.2 on ubuntu 6.10 using the backport a while ago. In pgadmin III
> I still can't connect to the server settings. When I open server status in
> pgadmin on the ubuntu box, it first messages me that server instrumentation
> functions are missing and then presents what may be a subset of the server
> status. The dialog is for 8.2, 8.1 is no longer installed. But everything
> I've read indicates that 8.2 should include what's needed. Using the
> synaptic manager I see that postgresql 8.2, -client-8.2, -client-common,
> -common, -contrib-8.2 are installed...is there one missing that would bring
> the extended server status functionality with it?
>

> novnov wrote:
>> Thanks all of you. It does seem like the backport is the way to go.
>>
>> So now I have 8.2 and some new postgres/linux newb questions.
>>
>> I can safely remove 8.1 after moving data using synaptic, ie 8.2 shouldn't
>> be dependent on 8.1 at all?
>>
>> I don't understand how postgres is installed with these package managers.
>> The windows installer asks me for the superuser name (postgres is the
>> default) and I provide a password. There is an option to run as a service,
>> and a windows user acct can be created for that. After the synaptic
>> install, postgres seems to be running as a service. I see a postgres user
>> account is created 'postgres' but don't know what the password is?
>>
>> Finally, I've never been able to get pgadmin to work on linux. I can't
>> connect, probably because the password is unknown, but another question is
>> the host address, is localhost is ok?

Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?

От
novnov
Дата:
Thanks Ian that helped.

Couple related questions. #1, the same warning is issued by pgadmin III but
the extra instrumentation does seem to have been installed by adminpack.sql;
I can see server status on the ubuntu box from an admin tool installed on a
windows box, where I couldn't before.

#2 I was able to find the adminpack.sql file on a windows postgres install
easily. But where is that share/contrib folder on linux? I looked in the etc
folder and then in the var/lib/ etc folders and it wasn't in those
locations. I searched the disk and didn't find it. postgresql-contrib-8.2
was installed by synaptic.