Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?

От novnov
Тема Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?
Дата
Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?  (novnov <novnovice@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Thanks all of you. It does seem like the backport is the way to go.

So now I have 8.2 and some new postgres/linux newb questions.

I can safely remove 8.1 after moving data using synaptic, ie 8.2 shouldn't
be dependent on 8.1 at all?

I don't understand how postgres is installed with these package managers.
The windows installer asks me for the superuser name (postgres is the
default) and I provide a password. There is an option to run as a service,
and a windows user acct can be created for that. After the synaptic install,
postgres seems to be running as a service. I see a postgres user account is
created 'postgres' but don't know what the password is?

Finally, I've never been able to get pgadmin to work on linux. I can't
connect, probably because the password is unknown, but another question is
the host address, is localhost is ok?