Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?

От Hannes Dorbath
Тема Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11.07.2007 23:07, Anton Melser wrote:
> Just a word of advice... unless you plan to spend lots of time on your
> db (like you want to think about it more than twice a week sort of
> thing...), just go with what you have in terms of the distro. We are
> running 8.1.4. And it just works, yes, even after all this time! You
> are certainly behind a good firewall, so if you have X.X.X, and it
> works (ie, your developpers have certified for X.X.X), why think about
> having the latest? Upgrading to new versions may well expose problems
> (like I remember someone talking about query optimisations a while
> back) that are non issues. If you are going to be pushing the limits,
> then compiling your own versions is not going to be an issue...
> Just my 2c
> Cheers
> Anton
> ps. I know, when a new version comes out so often it is soooooooooo
> hard to resist!

Well, a good reason for upgrades are fixed bugs, and as minor releases
focus on that, there is a good reason to stay half way up-to-date within
the branch you are using.

This god like faith of some admins in package maintainers, that they
know what's right, good and stable for them, sometimes really worries me.

Besides that.. I'd really expect my distribution to offer me the choice
of what version of PostgreSQL to install.

--
Regards,
Hannes Dorbath