Обсуждение: perfromance world records

perfromance world records

От
"Tomi N/A"
Дата:
I just ran into an article about Oracle setting a world record in some
kind of test: http://www.oracle.com/corporate/press/2007_feb/TPC-H_300GB_Benchmark_wHP.html?rssid=rss_ocom_pr

...which made me think: postgresql aims at the same (or very similar)
clients and use cases as Oracle, DB2 and MSSQL. I pose the question
from an advocacy standpoint: why doesn't postgresql hold a world
record of some sort (except performance/price)?
Is it because the tests (time, expertise, hardware) are too expensive?
Are the other RDBMSes simply faster? Something else?
I'd like to know, because it'd be a hell of an argument to use when
advocating the use of pgsql on a project: "well, we *could* go with
MSSQL, but it's going to tie us up...when using multiple CPUs
(licences), when deploying a failover solution (licences), when you
want to work with spatial information or something else: but pgsql, on
the other hand...it doesn't have that kind of licencing volatility,
gives you everything it's got and achieves world record performance
doing so..."

That's the kind of leverage I'd like to have when talking about using
pgsql with my colleagues.
Anyone care to comment?

Cheers,
Tomislav

Re: perfromance world records

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Tomi N/A wrote:
> I just ran into an article about Oracle setting a world record in some
> kind of test:
> http://www.oracle.com/corporate/press/2007_feb/TPC-H_300GB_Benchmark_wHP.html?rssid=rss_ocom_pr
>

> ...which made me think: postgresql aims at the same (or very similar)
> clients and use cases as Oracle, DB2 and MSSQL. I pose the question
> from an advocacy standpoint: why doesn't postgresql hold a world
> record of some sort (except performance/price)?

Cost.

Joshua D. Drake

> Is it because the tests (time, expertise, hardware) are too expensive?
> Are the other RDBMSes simply faster? Something else?
> I'd like to know, because it'd be a hell of an argument to use when
> advocating the use of pgsql on a project: "well, we *could* go with
> MSSQL, but it's going to tie us up...when using multiple CPUs
> (licences), when deploying a failover solution (licences), when you
> want to work with spatial information or something else: but pgsql, on
> the other hand...it doesn't have that kind of licencing volatility,
> gives you everything it's got and achieves world record performance
> doing so..."
>
> That's the kind of leverage I'd like to have when talking about using
> pgsql with my colleagues.
> Anyone care to comment?
>
> Cheers,
> Tomislav

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: perfromance world records

Дата:
"Tomi N/A" <hefest@gmail.com> writes:
> ...which made me think: postgresql aims at the same (or very similar)
> clients and use cases as Oracle, DB2 and MSSQL. I pose the question
> from an advocacy standpoint: why doesn't postgresql hold a world
> record of some sort (except performance/price)?

Certified TPC tests are *expensive* to run.  If you search the PG
archives for "TPC" you will probably find some relevant prior
discussions.

FWIW, Josh has given the impression that Sun is working on producing
certified TPC-E results with PG.

            regards, tom lane

Re: perfromance world records

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:

Re: perfromance world records

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Ron Johnson wrote:
>>> Certified TPC tests are *expensive* to run.  If you search the PG
>>> archives for "TPC" you will probably find some relevant prior
>>> discussions.
>
> What about non-certified tests?
>
> Or has the TPC copyrighted/licensed/whatever the tests, so that you
> can only publish certified results?

You can not publish TPC tests without a TPC fee :). However there are
plenty of other tests such as dbt2 and odbcbench that can give you
comparable and free results.

Joshua D. Drake

>>> FWIW, Josh has given the impression that Sun is working on producing
>>> certified TPC-E results with PG.

       match

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: perfromance world records

От
"Tomi N/A"
Дата:
2007/2/24, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> > What about non-certified tests?
> >
> > Or has the TPC copyrighted/licensed/whatever the tests, so that you
> > can only publish certified results?
>
> You can not publish TPC tests without a TPC fee :). However there are
> plenty of other tests such as dbt2 and odbcbench that can give you
> comparable and free results.

I mentioned a TPC test as an example: any kind of (well known)
"standard" test would do.
I guess it goes without saying anyone running such a test would do
well to send word to the mailing list with a URL to the results. :)

t.n.a.

Re: perfromance world records

Дата:
"Tomi N/A" <hefest@gmail.com> writes:
> 2007/2/24, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>:
>> You can not publish TPC tests without a TPC fee :). However there are
>> plenty of other tests such as dbt2 and odbcbench that can give you
>> comparable and free results.

> I mentioned a TPC test as an example: any kind of (well known)
> "standard" test would do.

If the objective is to claim a world record, we'd look pretty silly
trying to do so with a nonstandard, non-certified test.  The point
of certification in this context is that you have someone else
attesting to the validity of your results.  Without that, your claim
isn't going to be believed.

            regards, tom lane

Re: perfromance world records

От
"Tomi N/A"
Дата:
2007/2/25, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:

> If the objective is to claim a world record, we'd look pretty silly
> trying to do so with a nonstandard, non-certified test.  The point
> of certification in this context is that you have someone else
> attesting to the validity of your results.  Without that, your claim
> isn't going to be believed.

Makes sense. I got carried away a bit.
I guess I'll have to stick to the available case studies...maybe even
contribute one or two of those myself.

Cheers,
t.n.a.

Re: perfromance world records

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
On 2/24/07, Tomi N/A <hefest@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's the kind of leverage I'd like to have when talking about using
> pgsql with my colleagues.
> Anyone care to comment?

The name brand test are basically paid pr for the big databases.
Basically, the tests are in environments controlled completely by the
vendor.  Like almost everything else in the commercial database world,
the major point is to distract and confuse people and not provide any
substantive information.

Some people who follow graphics card developments might remember how
both ATI and nVidia caught a lot of heat by optimizing their drivers
for specific benchmarks to make themselves look good.  In the database
world, this kind of behavior is encouraged and publication of user run
benchmarks is prohibited.

A much more fair benchmark would be to publish the hardware/OS
platform in advance but not the SQL in a benchmark.  Only standard SQL
would be used and if any unexpected results come back the test is
considered 'failed' by the database.  I don't think such a thing would
ever happen though, but I would expect PostgreSQL to do extremely well
in such a test.

merlin