Обсуждение: I've followed the faq and still getting too many clients errr

I've followed the faq and still getting too many clients errr

От
newsreader@mediaone.net
Дата:
Help!

I've recompiled pg.  Here is what I did to
correct 'too many clients' error

I just change the following line in src/configure
    #define DEF_MAXBACKENDS 32
    #define DEF_MAXBACKENDS 100

Did I do that right? After ./configure I check
src/include/config.h and see that previous number 32
has been changed to 100.

Before I did the recompile I attempt to restart
postmaster with
    -N 100 -B 200
options.  I get the following error
--------------
IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument) key=5432001, size=1929216, permission=600
This type of error is usually caused by an improper
shared memory or System V IPC semaphore configuration.
For more information, see the FAQ and platform-specific
FAQ's in the source directory pgsql/doc or on our
web site at http://www.postgresql.org.
FATAL 1:  ShmemCreate: cannot create region
------------
After recompiling I still use the same
options and get the same error.  So
I assume that after recompilation I don't
need to set the options manually and
maximum will be automatically set to 100 etc..

That is not the case... I am still gettiing
'too many clients error'

As an aside after the recompilation I get a new error

-------------------
pq_flush: send() failed: Broken pipe
pq_flush: send() failed: Broken pipe
pq_flush: send() failed: Broken pipe
---------------

like above before getting too many clients errors
again.

I really don't think I've reached 100 backends
because top says that I have 90 processes altogether
of which some are other processes..

linux 2.4.1 red hat 6.2

I'm in complete dodo now..  I've never expected
this many hits and I really don't know what I can
do to fix this continuous problem.

Thanks much in advance for your help

kz

I am still getting too many clients error.

Re: I've followed the faq and still getting too many clients errr

От
"Dominic J. Eidson"
Дата:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:

> I just change the following line in src/configure
>     #define DEF_MAXBACKENDS 32
>     #define DEF_MAXBACKENDS 100
>
> Did I do that right? After ./configure I check
> src/include/config.h and see that previous number 32
> has been changed to 100.

./configure --with-maxbackends=100

Should do the job.

--
Dominic J. Eidson
                                        "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli

Re: I've followed the faq and still getting too many clients errr

От
newsreader@mediaone.net
Дата:
Thanks for your help... I just did that..
I'm still getting the error...within 1 minute
of restarting my mod_perl server

I doubt that I've reached that limit immediately.

Should I do make distclean first??

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 08:22:24PM -0600, Dominic J. Eidson wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:
>
> > I just change the following line in src/configure
> >     #define DEF_MAXBACKENDS 32
> >     #define DEF_MAXBACKENDS 100
> >
> > Did I do that right? After ./configure I check
> > src/include/config.h and see that previous number 32
> > has been changed to 100.
>
> ./configure --with-maxbackends=100
>
> Should do the job.
>

> --
> Dominic J. Eidson
>                                         "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli
> http://www.the-infinite.org/              http://www.the-infinite.org/~dominic/

Re: I've followed the faq and still getting too many clients errr

От
newsreader@mediaone.net
Дата:
I trace the problem to kernel 2.4 -- I think.
Appropriate section from kernel source
documention is below.

If anyone outthere is planning to upgrade linux kernel
to 2.4 you might want to keep this in mind.

It looks like all is well now... what a relief.

--------------------------
  You can find documentation about IPC with "info ipc" and also in
  section 6.4 of the Linux Programmer's Guide, available from
  http://www.linuxdoc.org/docs.html#guide .

  Shared memory is now implemented using a new (minimal) virtual file
  system. To mount it automatically at system startup just add the
  following line to your /etc/fstab:

  none  /dev/shm        shm     defaults        0 0

  Saying Y here enlarges your kernel by about 18 KB. Just say Y.
----------------------

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 08:22:24PM -0600, Dominic J. Eidson wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:
>
> > I just change the following line in src/configure
> >     #define DEF_MAXBACKENDS 32
> >     #define DEF_MAXBACKENDS 100
> >
> > Did I do that right? After ./configure I check
> > src/include/config.h and see that previous number 32
> > has been changed to 100.
>
> ./configure --with-maxbackends=100
>
> Should do the job.
>

> --
> Dominic J. Eidson
>                                         "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli
> http://www.the-infinite.org/              http://www.the-infinite.org/~dominic/

Re: I've followed the faq and still getting too many clients errr

От
newsreader@mediaone.net
Дата:
wrong!  still too many clients.. aaaaargh

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 10:09:33PM -0500, newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:

> I trace the problem to kernel 2.4 -- I think.
> Appropriate section from kernel source
> documention is below.
>
> If anyone outthere is planning to upgrade linux kernel
> to 2.4 you might want to keep this in mind.
>
> It looks like all is well now... what a relief.
>

> --------------------------
>   You can find documentation about IPC with "info ipc" and also in
>   section 6.4 of the Linux Programmer's Guide, available from
>   http://www.linuxdoc.org/docs.html#guide .
>
>   Shared memory is now implemented using a new (minimal) virtual file
>   system. To mount it automatically at system startup just add the
>   following line to your /etc/fstab:
>
>   none  /dev/shm        shm     defaults        0 0
>
>   Saying Y here enlarges your kernel by about 18 KB. Just say Y.
> ----------------------
>

> On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 08:22:24PM -0600, Dominic J. Eidson wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:
> >
> > > I just change the following line in src/configure
> > >     #define DEF_MAXBACKENDS 32
> > >     #define DEF_MAXBACKENDS 100
> > >
> > > Did I do that right? After ./configure I check
> > > src/include/config.h and see that previous number 32
> > > has been changed to 100.
> >
> > ./configure --with-maxbackends=100
> >
> > Should do the job.
> >

> > --
> > Dominic J. Eidson
> >                                         "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli
> > http://www.the-infinite.org/              http://www.the-infinite.org/~dominic/

Re: I've followed the faq and still getting too many clients errr

От
newsreader@mediaone.net
Дата:
not so fast!  i did not pay attention to
the message
    mount point /dev/shm does not exist
when the kernel was loading

we will see soon whether this problem
is really solved...

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 10:26:23PM -0500, newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:
> wrong!  still too many clients.. aaaaargh
>
> On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 10:09:33PM -0500, newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:
> >
> > I trace the problem to kernel 2.4 -- I think.
> > Appropriate section from kernel source
> > documention is below.
> >
> > If anyone outthere is planning to upgrade linux kernel
> > to 2.4 you might want to keep this in mind.
> >
> > It looks like all is well now... what a relief.
> >

> > --------------------------
> >   You can find documentation about IPC with "info ipc" and also in
> >   section 6.4 of the Linux Programmer's Guide, available from
> >   http://www.linuxdoc.org/docs.html#guide .
> >
> >   Shared memory is now implemented using a new (minimal) virtual file
> >   system. To mount it automatically at system startup just add the
> >   following line to your /etc/fstab:
> >
> >   none  /dev/shm        shm     defaults        0 0
> >
> >   Saying Y here enlarges your kernel by about 18 KB. Just say Y.
> > ----------------------

> > > ./configure --with-maxbackends=100
> > >
> > > Should do the job.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Dominic J. Eidson
> > >                                         "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli
> > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > http://www.the-infinite.org/              http://www.the-infinite.org/~dominic/

Re: I've followed the faq and still getting too many clients errr

От
newsreader@mediaone.net
Дата:
not really!!  too many clients already!!!

i've set def-maxbackends to 1024!!!

i've run out of all options.. it appears

i thought i would never see the day my load
average goes over 2.0  It's really painful
to see it's now at 30 or so..

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 10:46:25PM -0500, newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:
> not so fast!  i did not pay attention to
> the message
>     mount point /dev/shm does not exist
> when the kernel was loading
>
> we will see soon whether this problem
> is really solved...
>
> On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 10:26:23PM -0500, newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:
> > wrong!  still too many clients.. aaaaargh
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 10:09:33PM -0500, newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:
> > >
> > > I trace the problem to kernel 2.4 -- I think.
> > > Appropriate section from kernel source
> > > documention is below.
> > >
> > > If anyone outthere is planning to upgrade linux kernel
> > > to 2.4 you might want to keep this in mind.
> > >
> > > It looks like all is well now... what a relief.
> > >

> > > --------------------------
> > >   You can find documentation about IPC with "info ipc" and also in
> > >   section 6.4 of the Linux Programmer's Guide, available from
> > >   http://www.linuxdoc.org/docs.html#guide .
> > >
> > >   Shared memory is now implemented using a new (minimal) virtual file
> > >   system. To mount it automatically at system startup just add the
> > >   following line to your /etc/fstab:
> > >
> > >   none  /dev/shm        shm     defaults        0 0
> > >
> > >   Saying Y here enlarges your kernel by about 18 KB. Just say Y.
> > > ----------------------

Re: I've followed the faq and still getting too many clients errr

От
Lincoln Yeoh
Дата:
At 10:26 PM 18-02-2001 -0500, newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:
>wrong!  still too many clients.. aaaaargh

How much shared memory have you set in your kernel? You may need to
increase SHMMAX and stuff like that (and recompile+reinstall kernel :( ).
Take a look at FAQ 3.9 again.

/usr/src/include/asm-i386/shmparam.h

There doesn't appear to be an authoritative "this is the right value for
SHMMAX". But I figure what works for installing Oracle should work for
Postgresql :). So you could do a google search on oracle, linux and shmmax
for examples. It doesn't seem to matter that much as long as there's enough
and you don't go overboard :).

Also what I found was the Linux 2.2.x sources I downloaded from
www.kernel.org would default to a rather low "max tasks" (max number of
processes)- NR_TASKs was 512 or something resulting with an even lower
figure for MAX_TASKS_PER_USER. In contrast Redhat sets those to about 2000+
for their kernels. So values thereabouts should be safe.

Cheerio,
Link.

Re: Re: I've followed the faq and still getting too many clients errr

Дата:
Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh@pop.jaring.my> writes:
> At 10:26 PM 18-02-2001 -0500, newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:
>> wrong!  still too many clients.. aaaaargh

> How much shared memory have you set in your kernel?

If the postmaster starts up, then he's got shared memory configured
high enough for the number of buffers and backends he's asking for.

My bet is he's got a startup script or postmaster.opts file that's
setting maxbackends to some fairly small number.  Changing the default
maxbackends in the build is a complete waste of time, really, since it
can be overridden in any case by a command line switch or options file.

            regards, tom lane