Обсуждение: Canot access PostgreSQL via psql -h (Vmware Fusion)

Canot access PostgreSQL via psql -h (Vmware Fusion)

От
CS DBA
Дата:
Hi all;

I've fired up 2 CentOS 6.2 VM's via vmware fusion 5 (on a mac).

I disables selinux on both, and installed postgres 8.4.13 on both VM's

I set listen_addresses = '*'
and I added a trust entry for each server in the opposite server's pg_hba.conf file.

However I cannot access one server from the other one via psql -h <I.P. address>

I get the standard error:

psql -h 192.168.91.145
psql: could not connect to server: No route to host
    Is the server running on host "192.168.91.145" and accepting
    TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

I can ssh between servers, I see no entry in the postgres log per the connection attempt (I have log_connections set to
on)

Currently I have networking set to "share with my mac" or NAT.  I tried setting networking to "Private to my mac" with
thesame results. Tried Autodetect (Bridged) as well, no luck

Can anyone help me debug this?

Thanks in advance

Re: Canot access PostgreSQL via psql -h (Vmware Fusion)

От
Andreas Schmitz
Дата:
Hi,

are there any firewalls up (check iptabled) ? try running

telnet 192.168.91.145 5432

what is happening ?

regards,

Andreas

On 08/24/2012 06:15 AM, CS DBA wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> I've fired up 2 CentOS 6.2 VM's via vmware fusion 5 (on a mac).
>
> I disables selinux on both, and installed postgres 8.4.13 on both VM's
>
> I set listen_addresses = '*'
> and I added a trust entry for each server in the opposite server's pg_hba.conf file.
>
> However I cannot access one server from the other one via psql -h <I.P. address>
>
> I get the standard error:
>
> psql -h 192.168.91.145
> psql: could not connect to server: No route to host
>     Is the server running on host "192.168.91.145" and accepting
>     TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
>

> I can ssh between servers, I see no entry in the postgres log per the connection attempt (I have log_connections set
toon)

> Currently I have networking set to "share with my mac" or NAT.  I tried setting networking to "Private to my mac"
withthe same results. Tried Autodetect (Bridged) as well, no luck

> Can anyone help me debug this?
>
> Thanks in advance

Re: Canot access PostgreSQL via psql -h (Vmware Fusion)

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
CS DBA <cs_dba@consistentstate.com> wrote:

> I've fired up 2 CentOS 6.2 VM's via vmware fusion 5 (on a mac).

> psql -h 192.168.91.145
> psql: could not connect to server: No route to host

That problem has nothing to do with PostgreSQL; you might have
better luck on a list related to the other technologies.

FWIW, on Linux I would start with `netstat -plnt` to see if the
process was listening on the expected port and host address.

-Kevin

Re: Canot access PostgreSQL via psql -h (Vmware Fusion)

От
Craig James
Дата:
On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 7:08 AM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> CS DBA <cs_dba@consistentstate.com> wrote:
>
>> I've fired up 2 CentOS 6.2 VM's via vmware fusion 5 (on a mac).
>
>> psql -h 192.168.91.145
>> psql: could not connect to server: No route to host
>
> That problem has nothing to do with PostgreSQL; you might have
> better luck on a list related to the other technologies.
>
> FWIW, on Linux I would start with `netstat -plnt` to see if the
> process was listening on the expected port and host address.

Or even simpler, do

  ifconfig

and make sure that you have the right IP address, followed by "ping
192.168.91.145" (assuming that's the right address) to see if your
network is even running. Another thing to try:

  psql -h localhost

Craig

Re: Canot access PostgreSQL via psql -h (Vmware Fusion)

Дата:
> CS DBA <cs_dba@consistentstate.com> wrote:
>> psql: could not connect to server: No route to host

> That problem has nothing to do with PostgreSQL; you might have
> better luck on a list related to the other technologies.

> FWIW, on Linux I would start with `netstat -plnt` to see if the
> process was listening on the expected port and host address.

"No route to host" doesn't have anything to do with whether there's
anything listening on the target port ... what's more likely is
that the OP mistyped the IP address, or else there's something
wrong with his network layout, interface netmask assignments,
that sort of thing.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Canot access PostgreSQL via psql -h (Vmware Fusion)

От
Walter Hurry
Дата:
On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 10:35:54 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> "No route to host" doesn't have anything to do with whether there's
> anything listening on the target port ... what's more likely is that the
> OP mistyped the IP address, or else there's something wrong with his
> network layout, interface netmask assignments,
> that sort of thing.

I don't know about VMWare, but with VirtualBox if you set up two guests
with NAT they are sharing the host's IP address as far as the outside
world is concerned. So each can see the host and the outside world, but
they can't see one another.

Re: Canot access PostgreSQL via psql -h (Vmware Fusion)

От
Andreas Schmitz
He wrote:

"I can ssh between servers,"

regards,

Andreas

On 08/24/2012 06:57 PM, Walter Hurry wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 10:35:54 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> "No route to host" doesn't have anything to do with whether there's
>> anything listening on the target port ... what's more likely is that the
>> OP mistyped the IP address, or else there's something wrong with his
>> network layout, interface netmask assignments,
>> that sort of thing.
> I don't know about VMWare, but with VirtualBox if you set up two guests
> with NAT they are sharing the host's IP address as far as the outside
> world is concerned. So each can see the host and the outside world, but
> they can't see one another.

Re: Canot access PostgreSQL via psql -h (Vmware Fusion)

От
Anderson Lunz
Дата:
Hi! Try to check the iptables. If you don't need a firewall just disable it. As root, try the following:

    service iptables status
    service iptables stop

    To disable it from starting at boot time, use:
    chkconfig iptables off

    Regards,

    Anderson Lunz.