Обсуждение: Remove Postgres from Solaris 10

Remove Postgres from Solaris 10

От
Thomas Bräutigam
Дата:
Hello all,

I have a software solution with a postgres database. The user postgres is abolutly needed for my software.

With Solaris 10, Postgres is automatically installed and uses the user postgres. How can I easily remove the current postgres install from this Solaris 10? Is there a process which is provided from Solaris to remove it? Whats the best way to do it?

Thank you for your help.

Cheers Thomas

Re: Remove Postgres from Solaris 10

От
"Jignesh K. Shah"
Дата:
I guess what you mean is to remove the "role" postgres so that you can
redefine it as a normal user and not remove the binaries that are
installed with Postgres as they can be overridden by having right PATH
variables

Its easy... Modify /etc/user_attr and remove type=role from the postgres
line and modify /etc/passwd to set a home path and change default shell
to /bin/sh or /bin/bash and set password for it.. and now you have a
normal user..
Is this what you are trying to do?

-Jignesh

Thomas Bräutigam wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a software solution with a postgres database. The user postgres
> is abolutly needed for my software.
>
> With Solaris 10, Postgres is automatically installed and uses the user
> postgres. How can I easily remove the current postgres install from
> this Solaris 10? Is there a process which is provided from Solaris to
> remove it? Whats the best way to do it?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Cheers Thomas
> **

Re: Remove Postgres from Solaris 10

От
Robert Lor
Дата:
There are a couple of options you can take to accomplish this.

1) Remove the role by running ¨roledel postgres¨ . This will remove
postgres from /etc/passwd and /etc/user_attr, and you can use useradd to
add postgres as a user.

2) Modify ¨postgres¨ from being a role to user. Below are the steps I use:

    a) run ¨passwd -d postgres¨
    b) edit /etc/user_attr and change type for ¨postgres¨  from ¨role¨
to ¨user¨
    c) create a home dir for postgres if needed
    d) use the usermod command to change the home dir and shell

-Robert

Jignesh K. Shah wrote:
> I guess what you mean is to remove the "role" postgres so that you can
> redefine it as a normal user and not remove the binaries that are
> installed with Postgres as they can be overridden by having right PATH
> variables
>
> Its easy... Modify /etc/user_attr and remove type=role from the
> postgres line and modify /etc/passwd to set a home path and change
> default shell to /bin/sh or /bin/bash and set password for it.. and
> now you have a normal user..
> Is this what you are trying to do?
>
> -Jignesh
>

> Thomas Bräutigam wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have a software solution with a postgres database. The user
>> postgres is abolutly needed for my software.
>>
>> With Solaris 10, Postgres is automatically installed and uses the
>> user postgres. How can I easily remove the current postgres install
>> from this Solaris 10? Is there a process which is provided from
>> Solaris to remove it? Whats the best way to do it?
>>
>> Thank you for your help.
>>
>> Cheers Thomas
>> **

Re: Remove Postgres from Solaris 10

От
Thomas Bräutigam
Дата:
Hi Jignesh,

But than I have the problem that I have 2 installations of postgres with default settings on one machine. Is it
possibleto have two installations with default settings on one machine?

Do they not interrupt each other with ports or something else....?

Cheers Thomas

Thomas Bräutigam wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a software solution with a postgres database. The user postgres
> is abolutly needed for my software.
>
> With Solaris 10, Postgres is automatically installed and uses the user
> postgres. How can I easily remove the current postgres install from
> this Solaris 10? Is there a process which is provided from Solaris to
> remove it? Whats the best way to do it?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Cheers Thomas
> **

Re: Remove Postgres from Solaris 10

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 01:47:02 +0200
Thomas Bräutigam <thomas.braeutigam@nexustelecom.com> wrote:

> Hi Jignesh,
>
> But than I have the problem that I have 2 installations of postgres
> with default settings on one machine. Is it possible to have two
> installations with default settings on one machine?
>
> Do they not interrupt each other with ports or something else....?

You will want to change the ports they run on. It may also affect your
kernel settings such as shmmax.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Remove Postgres from Solaris 10

От
Thomas Bräutigam
Дата:
Hi Joshua

The problem is this that I need this ports for my default postgres database.

Is it than possible to have 2 default postgres databases in parallel? Same ports etc.....?

Right now I just used the hammer method and removed the packages from the Solaris 10 version, but this seem to be not
theelegant version of doin it.

Cheers Thomas

--
The PostgreSQL Company since 1997: http://www.commandprompt.com/ PostgreSQL Community Conference:
http://www.postgresqlconference.org/

Re: Remove Postgres from Solaris 10

От
Thomas Bräutigam
Дата:
Hi Joshua,

Why does it affect shmmax?

Cheers Thomas

> But than I have the problem that I have 2 installations of postgres
> with default settings on one machine. Is it possible to have two
> installations with default settings on one machine?
>
> Do they not interrupt each other with ports or something else....?

You will want to change the ports they run on. It may also affect your kernel settings such as shmmax.

Joshua D. Drake

--
The PostgreSQL Company since 1997: http://www.commandprompt.com/ PostgreSQL Community Conference:
http://www.postgresqlconference.org/
United States PostgreSQL Association: http://www.postgresql.us/ Donate to the PostgreSQL Project:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Re: Remove Postgres from Solaris 10

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 02:00:42 +0200
Thomas Bräutigam <thomas.braeutigam@nexustelecom.com> wrote:

> Hi Joshua,
>
> Why does it affect shmmax?

Because you would have two clusters access shared memory.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/kernel-resources.html

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Remove Postgres from Solaris 10

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 01:59:08 +0200
Thomas Bräutigam <thomas.braeutigam@nexustelecom.com> wrote:

> Hi Joshua
>
> The problem is this that I need this ports for my default postgres
> database.
>
> Is it than possible to have 2 default postgres databases in parallel?
> Same ports etc.....?

I am afraid I don't understand what you are asking. You can't have two
postgresql installations bound to the same port. You can have two
postgresql installations pointing to different ports on the same
machine.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Remove Postgres from Solaris 10

От
Igor Polishchuk
Дата:
In our organization, we are running multiple databases on the same box on
the default port. However, they all have their own data directories and they
listen on different VIP's. Here are the parameters in postrgresql.conf to
make it work:

unix_socket_directory = 'data directory for a particular DB here'
listen_addresses = 'VIP here'
port = 5432

--

Re: Remove Postgres from Solaris 10

От
Thomas Bräutigam
Дата:
Hi Joshua,

I think I have to explain it a little more detailed

- my product uses a postgres database with the standart config (ports etc.)
- with Solaris 10 postgres is already installed as standart
- I need to replace this Solaris 10 postgres installation with my standart postgres database of my product

That is the reason I need to remove the standart postgres installation from Solaris 10 that I can use my own postgres
database.

My concern is how I can remove this standart Solaris 10 postgres database as quick and efficient as possible that I can
putin my postgres database?

Cheers Thomas

> The problem is this that I need this ports for my default postgres
> database.
>
> Is it than possible to have 2 default postgres databases in parallel?
> Same ports etc.....?

I am afraid I don't understand what you are asking. You can't have two postgresql installations bound to the same port.
Youcan have two postgresql installations pointing to different ports on the same machine.

Joshua D. Drake

--
The PostgreSQL Company since 1997: http://www.commandprompt.com/ PostgreSQL Community Conference:
http://www.postgresqlconference.org/
United States PostgreSQL Association: http://www.postgresql.us/ Donate to the PostgreSQL Project:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Re: Remove Postgres from Solaris 10

От
"Jignesh K. Shah"
Дата:
Here are my two cents:

You dont want to remove packages installed with Solaris by default..
However you may use your own Postgres packages or binaries in different
location and not enable Postgres by default. (PostgreSQL is an integral
part of Solaris 10 )

Don't forget some of Solaris's own tools like SunMC now uses the bundled
postgres in the operating system and hence depends on its existence  and
tested against it.

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/sundocs/articles/sunmcnew.jsp

Removing PostgreSQL packages installed by default is not supported since
upgrades to the Operating system will depend on those file installations
to exist out in the preset locations. However that does not mean you
cannot have your own binaries and use them at the default port. The
default database is not enabled by default which means there is no
collision of port numbers unless you want both database clusters to be
enabled. If thats the case than changing Port numbers in either your
database cluster or the default db instance (if init'ed by using svcadm
start postgres_82:default  for the first time) in
/var/postgres/8.2/data/postgresql.conf  should be fairly easy.

Other option is to use "OpenSolaris" CD images which does not have
PostgreSQL installed by default as part of the "CD image" install as of now.

http://opensolaris.org/os/project/indiana/resources/getit/

-Jignesh

Thomas Bräutigam wrote:
> Hi Joshua,
>
> I think I have to explain it a little more detailed
>
> - my product uses a postgres database with the standart config (ports etc.)
> - with Solaris 10 postgres is already installed as standart
> - I need to replace this Solaris 10 postgres installation with my standart postgres database of my product
>
> That is the reason I need to remove the standart postgres installation from Solaris 10 that I can use my own postgres
database.

> My concern is how I can remove this standart Solaris 10 postgres database as quick and efficient as possible that I
canput in my postgres database?

> Cheers Thomas

Дата:
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 05:10:00 +0200
Thomas Bräutigam <thomas.braeutigam@nexustelecom.com> wrote:

> Hi Joshua,
>
> I think I have to explain it a little more detailed
>
> - my product uses a postgres database with the standart config (ports
> etc.)
> - with Solaris 10 postgres is already installed as standart
> - I need to replace this Solaris 10 postgres installation with my
> standart postgres database of my product

Why? Why not use the one that Solaris ships with?

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Remove Postgres from Solaris 10

От
Thomas Bräutigam
Дата:
Hi Jignesh

What things do I all need to take care when I want to run both postgres databases on the same box. Like the Solaris 10
postgresdb and my postgres db.

What parameters to I need to change in the postgresql.conf file? Is there something else I need to take care?

Cheers Thomas

Thomas Bräutigam wrote:
> Hi Joshua,
>
> I think I have to explain it a little more detailed
>
> - my product uses a postgres database with the standart config (ports
> etc.)
> - with Solaris 10 postgres is already installed as standart
> - I need to replace this Solaris 10 postgres installation with my
> standart postgres database of my product
>
> That is the reason I need to remove the standart postgres installation from Solaris 10 that I can use my own postgres
database.

> My concern is how I can remove this standart Solaris 10 postgres database as quick and efficient as possible that I
canput in my postgres database?

> Cheers Thomas

Дата:
Is this than everyhting I need to take care when I run this both standard databases or do I need to configure or change
somethingelse?

--

Re: Remove Postgres from Solaris 10

От
Robert Lor
Дата:
Thomas Bräutigam wrote:
> Hi Jignesh
>
> What things do I all need to take care when I want to run both postgres databases on the same box. Like the Solaris
10postgres db and my postgres db.

By default the Postgres versions that are shipped with Solaris are
disabled (run "svcs postgresql" to verify).  So if you just want to use
your own Postgres binary, you don't have to worry about changing the
port as long as you don't enable the versions that come with Solaris.
You are making conflicting statement about running both databases in
parallel but at the same time want to replace your version with the
binary that comes with Solaris. Perhaps you're thinking that the
Postgres that comes with Solaris is always running by default which is
not the case!

-Robert

Re: Remove Postgres from Solaris 10

От
Thomas Bräutigam
Дата:
Hi Robert,

That's the issue, the database is not running which gets delivered with Solaris 10 but I am not sure if the my customer
accidentlyactivates it or not, so I want to be on the safe side of live, that I minimize this risk.

Cheers Thomas

> What things do I all need to take care when I want to run both postgres databases on the same box. Like the Solaris
10postgres db and my postgres db.

By default the Postgres versions that are shipped with Solaris are disabled (run "svcs postgresql" to verify).  So if
youjust want to use your own Postgres binary, you don't have to worry about changing the port as long as you don't
enablethe versions that come with Solaris.
You are making conflicting statement about running both databases in parallel but at the same time want to replace your
versionwith the binary that comes with Solaris. Perhaps you're thinking that the Postgres that comes with Solaris is
alwaysrunning by default which is not the case!

-Robert

Re: Remove Postgres from Solaris 10

От
Robert Lor
Дата:
Thomas Bräutigam wrote:
> That's the issue, the database is not running which gets delivered with Solaris 10 but I am not sure if the my
customeraccidently activates it or not, so I want to be on the safe side of live, that I minimize this risk.

In that case, just pick a non default port for your Postgres server process.

-Robert

Re: Remove Postgres from Solaris 10

От
"Igniris Valdivia Baez"
Дата:
Hola
Soy estudiante de Ingeniería Informática. Le escribo porque consulté una publicación suya en la web sobre POSTGRESQL y
másespecíficamente mi duda es sobre replica, tenemos un escenario de la siguiente manera, queremos montar una
aplicaciónpara el país completo, que es necesario que todos puedan consultar y modificar sobre los mismos datos y
tenemosla duda si usar PgCluster nos seria factible?  y si es así si seria síncrono o asíncrono. Otra cosa, que seria
elreplicador(hardware o software) y el balanceador de carga.
Gracias de antemano
Saludos Igniris

> The problem is this that I need this ports for my default postgres
> database.
>
> Is it than possible to have 2 default postgres databases in parallel?
> Same ports etc.....?

I am afraid I don't understand what you are asking. You can't have two postgresql installations bound to the same port.
Youcan have two postgresql installations pointing to different ports on the same machine.

Joshua D. Drake

--
The PostgreSQL Company since 1997: http://www.commandprompt.com/ PostgreSQL Community Conference:
http://www.postgresqlconference.org/
United States PostgreSQL Association: http://www.postgresql.us/ Donate to the PostgreSQL Project:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Re: help about replication

От
"Jignesh K. Shah"

Igniris Valdivia Baez wrote:
> Hola
> Soy estudiante de Ingeniería Informática. Le escribo porque consulté una publicación suya en la web sobre POSTGRESQL
ymás específicamente mi duda es sobre replica, tenemos un escenario de la siguiente manera, queremos montar una
aplicaciónpara el país completo, que es necesario que todos puedan consultar y modificar sobre los mismos datos y
tenemosla duda si usar PgCluster nos seria factible?  y si es así si seria síncrono o asíncrono. Otra cosa, que seria
elreplicador(hardware o software) y el balanceador de carga.
> Gracias de antemano
> Saludos Igniris

Allright

I used google translate to understand the email

"
Hello
I am a student of computer engineering. I am writing you because I
consulted a publication on the web and more specifically on POSTGRESQL
is definitely on my replica, we have a scenario as follows, we want to
mount an application for the whole country, it is necessary that
everyone can see and change on them data and we doubt if we use
PgCluster feasible? and if so whether serious synchronous or
asynchronous. Another thing that would be the replicator (hardware or
software) and the load balancer.
Thanks in advance
Greetings Igniris
"

Anyway I dont think I have any answers to this.

-Jignesh