Обсуждение: increasing of the shared memory does not solve the problem of "OUT of shared memory"

increasing of the shared memory does not solve the problem of "OUT of shared memory"

От
"Sorin N. Ciolofan"

Hello!

I increased significantly the number of shared buffers from 3000 to 100 000 (80Mb)

Also I increased the max_locks_per_transaction from  64  to 10 000.

I still receive the same error form Postgres: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: out of shared memory

Is this message appropriate to the real cause of the problem or the reason of the failure is actually other than what is displayed in this message?

With best regards,

Sorin N. Ciolofan

Re: increasing of the shared memory does not solve the problem of "OUT of shared memory"

От
Adam Tauno Williams

> I increased significantly the number of shared buffers from 3000 to
> 100 000 (80Mb)
> Also I increased the max_locks_per_transaction from  64  to 10 000.
> I still receive the same error form Postgres:
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: out of shared memory
> Is this message appropriate to the real cause of the problem or the
> reason of the failure is actually other than what is displayed in this
> message?

Maybe you've got an application that is doing a BEGIN WORK, but never
doing a rollback or commit?
--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com

"Sorin N. Ciolofan" <ciolofan@ics.forth.gr> writes:
> Also I increased the max_locks_per_transaction from  64  to 10 000.

> I still receive the same error form Postgres:
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: out of shared memory

Did you remember to restart the postmaster after doing that?  (pg_ctl
reload isn't good enough, you need an actual restart to enlarge shared
memory.)  You can confirm whether it's really taken effect with
"show max_locks_per_transaction".

            regards, tom lane

Re: increasing of the shared memory does not solve the problem of "OUT of shared memory"

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 04:58:28PM +0300, Sorin N. Ciolofan wrote:
> I increased significantly the number of shared buffers from 3000 to 100 000
> (80Mb)

BTW, 100,000 shared buffers is actually 800MB, not 80.

Re: increasing of the shared memory does not solve theproblem of "OUT of shared memory"

От
"Sorin N. Ciolofan"

Hi again!

It seems that the problem was the max_fsm_relations parameter which was increased

I still do not understand why in the past I received always the message:

ERROR: out of shared memory

Is this an appropriate message for the need for increasing this parameter?

With best regards,

Sorin C.

> I increased significantly the number of shared buffers from 3000 to

> 100 000 (80Mb)

> Also I increased the max_locks_per_transaction from  64  to 10 000.

> I still receive the same error form Postgres:

> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: out of shared memory

> Is this message appropriate to the real cause of the problem or the

> reason of the failure is actually other than what is displayed in this

> message?

Maybe you've got an application that is doing a BEGIN WORK, but never

doing a rollback or commit?

--

Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator

Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com

Developer - http://www.opengroupware.org

       match

Re: increasing of the shared memory does not solve theproblem of "OUT of shared memory"

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On May 17, 2007, at 4:14 AM, Sorin N. Ciolofan wrote:
> It seems that the problem was the max_fsm_relations parameter which
> was increased
> I still do not understand why in the past I received always the
> message:
>
> ERROR: out of shared memory
>
> Is this an appropriate message for the need for increasing this
> parameter?
Yes, increasing max_fsm_relations requires more shared memory. Theres
more information about this in the docs... search for shmmax.