Обсуждение: Upgrading to Solaris 9

Upgrading to Solaris 9

От
Danielle Cossette
Дата:
Good morning,

Could you please let me know if Postgres 7.1.3 will run on Solaris 9.
If it does, are you aware of any issues.

Thank you for your help.

Danielle Cossette

Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Danielle Cossette writes:

> Could you please let me know if Postgres 7.1.3 will run on Solaris 9.

Why don't you try it out?

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9

От
Greg Spiegelberg
Дата:
I did and had too many problems and performance issues.  Solaris-
PostgreSQL just doesn't gel as wel as Linux-PostgreSQL.  (ouch)

If PostgreSQL were to get retooled to work with threads the way it
works between processes today for Solaris or if someone were to find
a tweak to make the Solaris scheduler more process-centric than
thread-centric (maybe via dispadmin(1)?) then I'm sure Solaris-PG would
clobber Linux-PG.

I still spin up 7.3.3 on our Sun V480 4CPU, 8GB, 2 internal fibre
drives occasionally and our 7.3.3 on RedHat 7.3 with 2.4.20, 2 1.4GHz,
2GB memory and 2 internal U160 kills it.  I've tried the many options
for UFS and VxFS and EXT3 on Linux still beats it.  The database I use
on the Sun comes from a pg_dump on the Linux system.

But, IMHO Solaris 8 or 9 in comparison to Linux on like hardware,
databases, configurations and queries the latter will outperform the
former every time.  -= IMHO =-

The short answer to your question is yes, it will run on Solaris 9.

Greg

--
Greg Spiegelberg
  Sr. Product Development Engineer

Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9

От
Gaetano Mendola
Дата:
Danielle Cossette wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> Could you please let me know if Postgres 7.1.3 will run on Solaris 9.
> If it does, are you aware of any issues.

Seems that solaris is the worst choice for run Postgres.

Am I completely wrong ?

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9

От
Ray Ontko
Дата:
Sounds like an opportunity for someone at Sun to fund a
little research project.  Any Sun/Postgresql hackers out
there?  Any Sun project managers lurking out there?

Ray

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 01:37:03PM -0500, Greg Spiegelberg wrote:
> I did and had too many problems and performance issues.  Solaris-
> PostgreSQL just doesn't gel as wel as Linux-PostgreSQL.  (ouch)
>
> If PostgreSQL were to get retooled to work with threads the way it
> works between processes today for Solaris or if someone were to find
> a tweak to make the Solaris scheduler more process-centric than
> thread-centric (maybe via dispadmin(1)?) then I'm sure Solaris-PG would
> clobber Linux-PG.
>
> I still spin up 7.3.3 on our Sun V480 4CPU, 8GB, 2 internal fibre
> drives occasionally and our 7.3.3 on RedHat 7.3 with 2.4.20, 2 1.4GHz,
> 2GB memory and 2 internal U160 kills it.  I've tried the many options
> for UFS and VxFS and EXT3 on Linux still beats it.  The database I use
> on the Sun comes from a pg_dump on the Linux system.
>
> But, IMHO Solaris 8 or 9 in comparison to Linux on like hardware,
> databases, configurations and queries the latter will outperform the
> former every time.  -= IMHO =-
>
> The short answer to your question is yes, it will run on Solaris 9.
>
> Greg
>

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >Danielle Cossette writes:
> >

> >>Could you please let me know if Postgres 7.1.3 will run on Solaris 9.
> >

> >Why don't you try it out?
> >

> --
> Greg Spiegelberg
>  Sr. Product Development Engineer
>  Cranel, Incorporated.
>  Phone: 614.318.4314
>  Fax:   614.431.8388
>  Email: gspiegelberg@Cranel.com
> Cranel. Technology. Integrity. Focus.

Ray Ontko   rayo@ontko.com   Phone 1.765.935.4283   Fax 1.765.962.9788
Ray Ontko & Co.   Software Consulting Services   http://www.ontko.com/

cancel <3FB12A96.9090401@bigfoot.com>

От
mendola@bigfoot.com
Дата:
This message was cancelled from within Mozilla.

Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9

От
Jeff
Дата:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:37:03 -0500
Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegelberg@cranel.com> wrote:

> I did and had too many problems and performance issues.  Solaris-
> PostgreSQL just doesn't gel as wel as Linux-PostgreSQL.  (ouch)

7.4 "fixes" a lot of hte performance problems we've seen with PG.
I had a very strong reason to make PG work well on solaris and after
some digging we found that by default, PG was being compiled with no
optimization on solaris.   That resulted in an AMAZING speed increase -
making it comprible to linux.

You can get the same effect on 7.3.x by setting CFLAGS=-O2 before
running configure.

However, establishing connections will not get much of an increase due
to solaris' amazingly slow fork().

The thread issue has been beaten to death on -HACKERS.

You can also check the -performance lists for the threads I posted about
this... oh a couple months ago?

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/

Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> Danielle Cossette wrote:
>
> > Good morning,
> >
> > Could you please let me know if Postgres 7.1.3 will run on Solaris 9.
> > If it does, are you aware of any issues.
>
> Seems that solaris is the worst choice for run Postgres.
>
> Am I completely wrong ?

I thought .org and .info were being run on postgresql/solaris?

As another poster pointed out, the Solaris version was building with no
optimzation, and it was kinda figured to be in the sysadmin's realm to fix
that at build time.

You're likely using Solaris' qsort, which was slow in the olden days but I
thought it had been sped up recently.  If it's been fixed, no worries, as
I'm pretty sure Solaris 9 has a qsort that sorts fast with many identical
keys.

Either way, upgrading to 7.3.4 or 7.4RC2 (for testing, in a couple weeks
release...) should provide a very noticable speed increase over 7.1 due
to many improvements made since that version.

The upgrade to 7.4 might be easier than the upgrade to 7.3 followed by
7.4, as 7.4's pg_dump and pd_dumpall are version aware and can dump a live
7.1.3 database.  So, if you wanna try it, just build a test server and:

pgsql7.4rc2: pg_dumpall -h production_machine_running_7.1.3 |psql -h testbox_running_7.4.rc2

and see what happens.

Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 07:29:42PM +0100, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> Seems that solaris is the worst choice for run Postgres.
>
> Am I completely wrong ?

Windows is worse ;-)

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 01:52:26PM -0700, scott.marlowe wrote:

> I thought .org and .info were being run on postgresql/solaris?

They are.  I'd happily dump the Solaris use overboard, however, if it
weren't for all the nifty hardware support it give us.  It is
dog-slow for handling large numbers of processes.  We get around that
by throwing hardware at the problem.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9

От
William Yu
Дата:
Danielle Cossette wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> Could you please let me know if Postgres 7.1.3 will run on Solaris 9.
> If it does, are you aware of any issues.

I've run 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 on Solaris 8 x86 and Solaris 9 x86. 7.1
install, config, run was nearly 100% hands-off. 7.3 takes setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to /usr/local/lib.

They've run fine for 3+ years ... except I had always allocated a
trivial amount of shared memory to Postgres. A few months back, I
decided to increase the shmmin/shmmax parameters to something a bit more
usable and the OS promptly kernel panic'd upon bootup. It took a few
tries to get values that worked. But this week, Solaris just went nuts
and kept kernel panicing until I dropped shared memory to next to
nothing -- which set Postgres performance back to be unusable.

I blew the OS away, installed Linux and everything runs fine. Actually
better than fine; better performance due to better drivers (especially
for ATA hard drives), better disk cache management, lower memory
footprint, etc. I had already switched to Linux on one server due to a
non-working LSI 32320-R driver and this shared memory problem has pretty
much cemented our plans to move off Solaris.

Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
In the last exciting episode, andrew@libertyrms.info (Andrew Sullivan) wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 01:52:26PM -0700, scott.marlowe wrote:
>>
>> I thought .org and .info were being run on postgresql/solaris?
>
> They are.  I'd happily dump the Solaris use overboard, however, if it
> weren't for all the nifty hardware support it give us.  It is
> dog-slow for handling large numbers of processes.  We get around that
> by throwing hardware at the problem.

One might choose to use Solaris for a number of reasons _other_ than
it being the fastest platform for PostgreSQL:

- If some applications are written in Java, Sun might be chosen as
  the hardware vendor because "Java works there best."

- If you're buying hardware in bulk, it may be a better deal to have
  to throw extra money at the DB server if you saved money on the
  other boxes.

- Local familiarity might be worth something; better the devil you
  know than ones you don't.

- Reprovisioned hardware from another project is cheaper than starting
  afresh.

I wouldn't warrant that any of those are necessarily applicable in
this particular case, but "which platform runs PG fastest" could
readily get pushed lower on the list by these sorts of factors...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/postgresql.html

Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9

От
Naomi Walker
Дата:
At 11:49 AM 11/11/2003, Ray Ontko wrote:
>Sounds like an opportunity for someone at Sun to fund a
>little research project.  Any Sun/Postgresql hackers out
>there?  Any Sun project managers lurking out there?

Does Solaris 8 have the same problem?  We run postgres on Solaris 6 with no
problems at all.

>Ray
>
>On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 01:37:03PM -0500, Greg Spiegelberg wrote:
> > I did and had too many problems and performance issues.  Solaris-
> > PostgreSQL just doesn't gel as wel as Linux-PostgreSQL.  (ouch)
> >
> > If PostgreSQL were to get retooled to work with threads the way it
> > works between processes today for Solaris or if someone were to find
> > a tweak to make the Solaris scheduler more process-centric than
> > thread-centric (maybe via dispadmin(1)?) then I'm sure Solaris-PG would
> > clobber Linux-PG.
> >
> > I still spin up 7.3.3 on our Sun V480 4CPU, 8GB, 2 internal fibre
> > drives occasionally and our 7.3.3 on RedHat 7.3 with 2.4.20, 2 1.4GHz,
> > 2GB memory and 2 internal U160 kills it.  I've tried the many options
> > for UFS and VxFS and EXT3 on Linux still beats it.  The database I use
> > on the Sun comes from a pg_dump on the Linux system.
> >
> > But, IMHO Solaris 8 or 9 in comparison to Linux on like hardware,
> > databases, configurations and queries the latter will outperform the
> > former every time.  -= IMHO =-
> >
> > The short answer to your question is yes, it will run on Solaris 9.
> >
> > Greg
> >

> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > >Why don't you try it out?
> > >

> > --
> > Greg Spiegelberg
> >  Sr. Product Development Engineer
> >  Cranel, Incorporated.
> >  Phone: 614.318.4314
> >  Fax:   614.431.8388
> >  Email: gspiegelberg@Cranel.com
> > Cranel. Technology. Integrity. Focus.

> > TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
>Ray Ontko   rayo@ontko.com   Phone 1.765.935.4283   Fax 1.765.962.9788
>Ray Ontko & Co.   Software Consulting Services   http://www.ontko.com/

>TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your

Naomi Walker                         Chief Information Officer
                                               Eldorado Computing, Inc.
nwalker@eldocomp.com           602-604-3100

Insanity is doing things in the same way and expecting different results.

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain
informationthat is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
intendedaddressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use,
copy,disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received
thismessage in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email, and delete the message. Thank you.