Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9

От Greg Spiegelberg
Тема Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9
Дата
Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9  (Jeff <threshar@torgo.978.org>)
Список pgsql-admin
I did and had too many problems and performance issues.  Solaris-
PostgreSQL just doesn't gel as wel as Linux-PostgreSQL.  (ouch)

If PostgreSQL were to get retooled to work with threads the way it
works between processes today for Solaris or if someone were to find
a tweak to make the Solaris scheduler more process-centric than
thread-centric (maybe via dispadmin(1)?) then I'm sure Solaris-PG would
clobber Linux-PG.

I still spin up 7.3.3 on our Sun V480 4CPU, 8GB, 2 internal fibre
drives occasionally and our 7.3.3 on RedHat 7.3 with 2.4.20, 2 1.4GHz,
2GB memory and 2 internal U160 kills it.  I've tried the many options
for UFS and VxFS and EXT3 on Linux still beats it.  The database I use
on the Sun comes from a pg_dump on the Linux system.

But, IMHO Solaris 8 or 9 in comparison to Linux on like hardware,
databases, configurations and queries the latter will outperform the
former every time.  -= IMHO =-

The short answer to your question is yes, it will run on Solaris 9.

Greg

--
Greg Spiegelberg
  Sr. Product Development Engineer