Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9

От Jeff
Тема Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:37:03 -0500
Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegelberg@cranel.com> wrote:

> I did and had too many problems and performance issues.  Solaris-
> PostgreSQL just doesn't gel as wel as Linux-PostgreSQL.  (ouch)

7.4 "fixes" a lot of hte performance problems we've seen with PG.
I had a very strong reason to make PG work well on solaris and after
some digging we found that by default, PG was being compiled with no
optimization on solaris.   That resulted in an AMAZING speed increase -
making it comprible to linux.

You can get the same effect on 7.3.x by setting CFLAGS=-O2 before
running configure.

However, establishing connections will not get much of an increase due
to solaris' amazingly slow fork().

The thread issue has been beaten to death on -HACKERS.

You can also check the -performance lists for the threads I posted about
this... oh a couple months ago?

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/