Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9

От Naomi Walker
Тема Re: Upgrading to Solaris 9
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
At 11:49 AM 11/11/2003, Ray Ontko wrote:
>Sounds like an opportunity for someone at Sun to fund a
>little research project.  Any Sun/Postgresql hackers out
>there?  Any Sun project managers lurking out there?

Does Solaris 8 have the same problem?  We run postgres on Solaris 6 with no
problems at all.

>Ray
>
>On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 01:37:03PM -0500, Greg Spiegelberg wrote:
> > I did and had too many problems and performance issues.  Solaris-
> > PostgreSQL just doesn't gel as wel as Linux-PostgreSQL.  (ouch)
> >
> > If PostgreSQL were to get retooled to work with threads the way it
> > works between processes today for Solaris or if someone were to find
> > a tweak to make the Solaris scheduler more process-centric than
> > thread-centric (maybe via dispadmin(1)?) then I'm sure Solaris-PG would
> > clobber Linux-PG.
> >
> > I still spin up 7.3.3 on our Sun V480 4CPU, 8GB, 2 internal fibre
> > drives occasionally and our 7.3.3 on RedHat 7.3 with 2.4.20, 2 1.4GHz,
> > 2GB memory and 2 internal U160 kills it.  I've tried the many options
> > for UFS and VxFS and EXT3 on Linux still beats it.  The database I use
> > on the Sun comes from a pg_dump on the Linux system.
> >
> > But, IMHO Solaris 8 or 9 in comparison to Linux on like hardware,
> > databases, configurations and queries the latter will outperform the
> > former every time.  -= IMHO =-
> >
> > The short answer to your question is yes, it will run on Solaris 9.
> >
> > Greg
> >

> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > >Why don't you try it out?
> > >

> > --
> > Greg Spiegelberg
> >  Sr. Product Development Engineer
> >  Cranel, Incorporated.
> >  Phone: 614.318.4314
> >  Fax:   614.431.8388
> >  Email: gspiegelberg@Cranel.com
> > Cranel. Technology. Integrity. Focus.

> > TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
>Ray Ontko   rayo@ontko.com   Phone 1.765.935.4283   Fax 1.765.962.9788
>Ray Ontko & Co.   Software Consulting Services   http://www.ontko.com/

>TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your

Naomi Walker                         Chief Information Officer
                                               Eldorado Computing, Inc.
nwalker@eldocomp.com           602-604-3100

Insanity is doing things in the same way and expecting different results.

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain
informationthat is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
intendedaddressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use,
copy,disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received
thismessage in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email, and delete the message. Thank you.