Обсуждение: Why do backups take so long?

Why do backups take so long?

От
Rob Richardson
Дата:
Windows7 Pro box.  I am trying to take a backup of a tiny database on my local machine.  When I request the backup,
PGAdminflashes for three minutes before finally deciding to make the backup.  Why does it do that, and is there an
updatefor PGAdmin available that doesn’t do that?<p class="MsoNormal"> <p class="MsoNormal">Thank you very much.<p
class="MsoNormal"> <pclass="MsoNormal">RobR</div>

Re: Why do backups take so long?

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 06/03/2015 18:26, Rob Richardson wrote:
> I have PostgreSQL 9.3 and the associated version of PGAdmin loaded on my
> Windows 7 Pro box.  I am trying to take a backup of a tiny database on
> my local machine.  When I request the backup, PGAdmin flashes for three
> minutes before finally deciding to make the backup.  Why does it do
> that, and is there an update for PGAdmin available that doesn’t do that?

pgAdmin just uses pg_dump [1] to do the actual backup, so it would be
interesting to run pg_dump directly at the command line to see if the
same behaviour manifests itself.

Ray.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/app-pgdump.html

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Why do backups take so long?

От
Rob Richardson
Дата:
It completed successfully in about two seconds.

RobR

On 06/03/2015 18:26, Rob Richardson wrote:
> I have PostgreSQL 9.3 and the associated version of PGAdmin loaded on
> my Windows 7 Pro box.  I am trying to take a backup of a tiny database
> on my local machine.  When I request the backup, PGAdmin flashes for
> three minutes before finally deciding to make the backup.  Why does it
> do that, and is there an update for PGAdmin available that doesn't do that?

pgAdmin just uses pg_dump [1] to do the actual backup, so it would be interesting to run pg_dump directly at the
commandline to see if the same behaviour manifests itself.

Ray.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/app-pgdump.html

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Why do backups take so long?

От
Jan-Peter Seifert
Дата:
Am 06.03.2015 um 19:33 schrieb Raymond O'Donnell:

> pgAdmin just uses pg_dump [1] to do the actual backup, so it would be
> interesting to run pg_dump directly at the command line to see if the
> same behaviour manifests itself.

There's nothing interesting about that, because this behaviour is really
old news:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20110103123027.118630@gmx.net

Running pg_dump from command line directly works without problems.

Makes me wonder whether the Windows version of pgAdmin is still being
tested on xp only.

Re: Why do backups take so long?

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 07/03/2015 00:15, Jan-Peter Seifert wrote:
> Am 06.03.2015 um 19:33 schrieb Raymond O'Donnell:
>
>> pgAdmin just uses pg_dump [1] to do the actual backup, so it would be
>> interesting to run pg_dump directly at the command line to see if the
>> same behaviour manifests itself.
>
> There's nothing interesting about that, because this behaviour is really
> old news:
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20110103123027.118630@gmx.net
>
> Running pg_dump from command line directly works without problems.
>
> Makes me wonder whether the Windows version of pgAdmin is still being
> tested on xp only.

It works fine for me - Windows 7 Home on my laptop, 64-bit, with pgAdmin
III 1.20.0. The interface flashes as described in the message linked
above - presumably as pgAdmin spawns and interacts with a new process
for pg_dump - but the entire operation takes no more than 5s with a tiny
database.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

hushthatbush@hushmail.com
Дата:
I wanna unsubscribe immediately. How do I do it?!

Re: Can somebody UNSUBSCRIBE me from this group?

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 07/03/2015 13:31, hushthatbush@hushmail.com wrote:
> I wanna unsubscribe immediately. How do I do it?!

Just read the footer of every email from the list:

> To make changes to your subscription:

:-)

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 07/03/2015 13:43, hushthatbush@hushmail.com wrote:
> Nothing happens on that page except for a bunch of error messages and unrelated garbage.
>
> Is this like a joke? Why can't I unsubscribe from this mailing list?!
>
> On 2015-03-07 at 2:41 PM, "Raymond O'Donnell" <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
>>
>> On 07/03/2015 13:37, hushthatbush@hushmail.com wrote:
>>> Huh? There is no way to unsubscribe on that page...

Please keep your replies on-list.

If there's a problem with the mailing list software, it'd be helpful to
tell the list *exactly* what error message(s) you got - that way the
list owners can have a look.

Thanks!

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Why do backups take so long?

От
Jan-Peter Seifert
Дата:
Am 07.03.2015 um 13:32 schrieb Raymond O'Donnell:

> It works fine for me - Windows 7 Home on my laptop, 64-bit, with pgAdmin
> III 1.20.0. The interface flashes as described in the message linked
> above - presumably as pgAdmin spawns and interacts with a new process
> for pg_dump - but the entire operation takes no more than 5s with a tiny
> database.

You think it works fine. The truth is that you'll get flashed if you try
to dump a larger database with many differences from template0.

Re: Can somebody UNSUBSCRIBE me from this group?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Instructions are on the bottom of every message.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

EnterpriseDB UK:http://www.enterprisedb.com