Beta4 for GiST? (Was: Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !! )

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Beta4 for GiST? (Was: Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !! )
Дата
Re: Beta4 for GiST? (Was: Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !! )  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> > What's wrong with
> > warning message if GiST test not passed ?
>
> You're being *way* too optimistic.  An output discrepancy in a test of
> GIST we could live with.  But think about other scenarios:
>
> 1. GIST test coredumps on some platforms.  This corrupts other tests
> (at least through the "system is starting up" failure mode), thus
> masking problems that we actually care about.
>
> 2. GIST test code does not compile on some platforms, causing "make check"
> to fail completely.
>
> At this point my vote is to leave the GIST test in contrib for 7.1.
> Anyone who actually cares about GIST (to be blunt: all three of you)
> can run it as a separate step.  I don't want it in the standard regress
> tests until 7.2, when we will have a reasonable amount of time to test
> and debug the test.

Agreed ... now let's move onto more important things, cause we've spent
much too long on this as it is ...

Namely, should we bundle up a beta4 this weeekend, so that the GiST
changes are in place for further testing, or hold off for ... ?