Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Hannu Krosing wrote:
>
> > Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> > >
> > > OK. We found an old implementation of R-Tre using GiST (Pg95)
> > > and we'll try to implement regression test using R-Tree
> > > it's anyway will be a good test.
> >
> > How is it different than using RD-tree for tests ?
> >

> No difference at all ! It's just another implemetation of R-Tree.
>
> > Can you do it usin already compiled-in functions and modifying
> >  things only at SQL level ?
> >

> unfortunately not ! Current postgres code has nothing connected with
> GiST and this is a problem ! How to test interface code without
> having two sides ? I understand we don't want to have another reason
> for complaints about non-working regression test. I never got
> regression test passed 100% on my Linux box with almost all versions
> of PostgreSQL but I could live with that. What's wrong with
> warning message if GiST test not passed ?

It has *nothing* to do with passing or not, it has to do with timing of
hte patches ... had they come in before we went beta, this would all have
been a no-brainer ... because they didn't, the problem arises ...

GiST changes are included ... testing of GiST changes aren't integrated
... can we *please* drop this whole thing already, as its really
detracting from getting *real* work done with very little, to no, benefit