Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!
Дата
Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: Re: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!  (selkovjr@mcs.anl.gov)
Список pgsql-hackers
> IMHO, giving out real test results, even negative, instead of leaving
> things untested would be a honest thing to do.

afaict there are several concerns or decisions, and we've made a few
already:

Re: gist.c patches...

1) Oleg and Hannu are committed to testing the repaired GiST as soon as
it is in the main tree. They are both testing already with the patched
version.

2) They will try to contact Gene to encourage testing with Gene's
application, though they have no reason to suspect from their own
testing that Gene's stuff will break.

3) There is a consensus that the gist.c patches should appear in the 7.1
release, to allow useful work with GiST and to enable further
development. So it is OK to commit the gist.c patches based on Oleg's
and Hannu's existing and future test plan.

Re: regression tests...

4) We all would like to see some regression tests of GiST. Tom Lane has
(rightly) expressed concern over unforeseen breakage in the regression
flow when done on other platforms.

5) Oleg has some regression-capable test code available for contrib, but
has indicated that fully (re)writing the regression tests will take too
much time.

6) We have at least two committed testers for the 7.1 release for the
GiST features. That is two more than we've ever had before (afacr Gene
didn't participate in the end-stage beta cycle, but I may not be
remembering correctly) so the risks that something is not right are
greatly reduced, to below the risks of same on the day of release for
previous versions.

8) Additional regression testing is required asap, but may not be
allowed into the default 7.1 test sequence.

How about adding an optional test a la "bigtest" for GiST for this
release? It could go mainstream for 7.1.x or for 7.2 as we get more
experience with it. This is just a suggestion and I'm sure there are
other possibilities. I'm pretty sure we agree on most of points 1-8, and
that 1-3 are resolved. Comments?
                     - Thomas