Data Replication

От Rutherdale, Will
Тема Data Replication
Дата
Re: Data Replication
Список pgsql-general
Hi.

I am trying to determine what kind of data replication is currently
available in PostgreSQL.  This is for purposes of examining capabilities
of PostgreSQL as compared to other RDBMSs.

I attempted some searches in various areas and came up with a
bewildering array of results but no clear answer.

a)  Slony-I provides master/slave data replication (3rd party product
but FOSS)
b)  PGCluster for Multi-master data replication, also 3rd party add-on
tool, also FOSS.
c)  Postgres-R for multi-master data replication, appears to be a code
fork of PostgreSQL
d)  Support for data replication in core PostgreSQL engine coming up, as
announced in this article in June 2008:
http://scale-out-blog.blogspot.com/2008/06/postgresql-gets-religion-abou
t.html

By contrast, when I search a similar question about MySQL, I get a clear
answer that both master/slave and multi-master data replication are
supported directly by the core engine.

Could somebody please help me sort this out?  I would like to know

i)  What is the current available support for data replication in
PostgreSQL?
ii)  Does anybody have experience with these tools they could share?
iii)  Is data replication planned for an upcoming release of PostgreSQL,
and if so what are the exact features and when is the release expected?

-Will

This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential,
proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely
intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering it to
the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are
not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any
part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.