Re: Data Replication

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Data Replication
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 18:45 -0500, Rutherdale, Will wrote:
> Thanks, Joshua.
>
> As I mentioned to Steve, warm standby / log shipping seems to be the
> main feature I'm looking for.
>
> The PITR solution you mention:  is that an improvement over regular log
> shipping?  Or do I misunderstand where that fits into the system?

It is a supplement to the system. Warm standby / log shipping in
postgresql by itself is very bare. Basically you have the ability to
archive files and take a base backup but there are no utilities to
actually perform any of those functions.

PITR Tools gives you a nice wrapper around all the various external
tools you need to get standby working. Once configured it even handles
archiver monitoring etc...

If you look here:

https://projects.commandprompt.com/public/pitrtools/browser/trunk/cmd_standby.README

It will show you how cmd_standby uses pg_standby to perform various
functions (including things like failover).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL