Re: Data Replication

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Data Replication
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 09:52 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 17:37 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 09:14 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >
> > > I think this statement is misleading. The only thing core contains is
> > > the ability to use a bunch of utilities (with the exception of
> > > pg_standby) that aren't in core to provide log shipping.
> >
> > True, we rely on the existence of rsync, scp etc.. and go to great pains
> > to provide as much choice as possible.
> >
> > If you think other things are required you are welcome to contribute
> > them so they can be verified fault free by the community.
>
> Well I already provided them, with pitrtools :P but my only point is
> that we really do need to make sure and be clear about what we provide.
> In true PostgreSQL fashion we only provide the functionality required to
> build the tools we need.

As I said before, if you think something is missing, submit a software
or a doc patch and submit it to peer review. Until then, I think its
misleading to claim that only your magic spice makes replication work
correctly and to make out everybody else had to go through huge pains to
get it to work. Cos I get emails all the time saying how easy it was to
configure and easy to administrate.