Re: [GENERAL] Looking for an online mentor

От Metare Solve
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Looking for an online mentor
Дата
Re: [GENERAL] Looking for an online mentor
Re: [GENERAL] Looking for an online mentor
Список pgsql-general
I'll check out the django girls, thanks. There's also a group of women coders in DC who hold a lot of trainings and events. I'll see if they have a level I python coming up.

You made me think about something about the GUI's: In my old job I used alteryx because we were working with datasets from 20M-250M. When I got laid off, I lost access to alteryx (unless I want to get a free trial). I asked a guy who's pretty familiar with my skillset what I should be using, R? He said to look for an open source gui/alteryx alternative. I found one called KNIME that I like a lot.

But, what I'm gathering is, you think this is a crutch too. Will Python enable me to do the same things that I do with that kind of big data processing program? Should I be aiming for that as the ultimate rather than "mastering" KNIME (or whatever, just looking to design my curriculum). At my old job when I asked the same guy about SQL and how some of the coding bits we did in the tool configuration looked like SQL, he said alteryx is SQL on crack.

I need SOMETHING to use for analysis for the tests I'm going to have to take when I job hunt so I'm exploring KNIME right now and doing the data manipulation into what I'd do in access for analysis. I know, I need stats too. You were educated as a biologist? I was educated as a pianist, writer, and historian, lol. I have a lot to learn.

However, we're veering away from postgres, which may not be appropriate on the forum. I'd like to continue the conversation, though.