Re: [GENERAL] Looking for an online mentor

От Karsten Hilbert
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Looking for an online mentor
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 07:47:56PM -0500, Metare Solve wrote:

> But, what I'm gathering is, you think this is a crutch too. Will Python
> enable me to do the same things that I do with that kind of big data
> processing program?

Yes and no. Python will enable you to do _way_ more (because
you tell it what to do) but at first you can't do much of
anything (because you need to learn programming in it first
and don't have buttons to click).

> Should I be aiming for that as the ultimate rather than "mastering" KNIME

Yes.

> I was educated as a pianist, writer,
> and historian, lol. I have a lot to learn.

Well, not really.

Pianist - you need to tell the piano / computer _exactly_
          what to do and there's a special notation for it
          in each realm

Writer - plan you strategy for evolving a story/solving a problem

Historian - diligently research what you don't know and don't
            know you don't know

The one thing cross access people typically don't bring in is
strong set-related skills. Maybe you can get a class on set
management from somewhere ?  Other than that try to see
things from your background.

Regards,
Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346