Re: proposal: hide application_name from other users

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: proposal: hide application_name from other users
Дата
Re: proposal: hide application_name from other users  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: proposal: hide application_name from other users  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 01/28/2014 07:27 AM, Greg Stark wrote:
> Why is application_name useful for users who aren't the DBA and aren't
> the user in question. The sql_query would probably be more useful than
> application_name but we hide that...

I have non-privileged monitoring scripts do counts of connections by
application name all the time as a way of checking for runaway
applications, and would be quite put out by restricting this to superusers.

Really the only way we're going to solve this is to make column
permissions on special system views fully configurable.

For example, I would really like to GRANT an unpriv user access to the
WAL columns in pg_stat_replication so that I can monitor replication
delay without granting superuser permissions.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.