proposal: hide application_name from other users

От Harold Giménez
Тема proposal: hide application_name from other users
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
First of all, I apologize for submitting a patch and missing the commitfest deadline. Given the size of the patch, I thought I'd submit it for your consideration regardless.

This patch prevents non-superusers from viewing other user's pg_stat_activity.application_name.  This topic was discussed some time ago [1] and consequently application_name was made world readable [2].

I would like to propose that we hide it instead by reverting to the original behavior.  There is a very large number of databases on the same cluster shared across different users who can easily view each other's application_name values.  Along with that, there are some libraries that default application_name to the name of the running process [3], which can leak information about what web servers applications are running, queue systems, etc. Furthermore leaking application names in a multi-tenant environment is more information than an attacker should have access to on services like Heroku and other similar providers.

Thanks and regards,

-Harold Giménez

Вложения