Re: Postgres and SUN

От Jignesh K. Shah
Тема Re: Postgres and SUN
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
T5120 and T5220 have 8 cores with 8 threads each resulting in 64
threads. Best way to view this is 64-vcpu server in 1U or 2U size.
Experience with PostgreSQL is varied on such boxes:

* Setup on such boxes does not use lot of cpus as  most utilities only
use 1 vcpu at a time and hence can take a while to setup
* However after that if you run OLTP or Web 2.0 type queries (small
transactions with multiple users) or small reads and sometimes update
from thousands of user then this box is great and throughput handled is
quite remarkable.
* But if you use it for DSS or data warehousing or Long running query
with a small number of users, again since each query will use only 1
vcpu the resulting query could take a longer time on this 1.2 to 1.4Ghz
cores.

I am setting the expectations right.  These boxes are great for OLTP,
scalability is also great though it depends on the workload. Eventually
I have seen that PostgreSQL saturates little  before the box saturates
but by then you probably end up being one of the big OLTP customers
using Postgres  handling  hundreds to thousands of users:-)

-Jignesh

Thomas Bräutigam wrote:
> Hi Robert
>
> What do you think about the SUN T5120 or T5220 with a Postgres Database?
>
> Cheers Thomas

10-20Seconds. Price for the Machine doesn't matter at all. The machine should just fit and can handle this kinda huge
database.

http://www.spec.org/jAppServer2004/results/res2007q3/jAppServer2004-20070703-00073.html