store different tables in different locations

От Duan Ligong
Тема store different tables in different locations
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi, all

I have several questions to bother you. :)

1 For postgresql, is it POSSIBLE to store different tables in different
locations where we specify?
For one postgresql management process, is it POSSIBLE to store different
database in different
locations where we specify?

2 Is it appropriate to use Postgresql to store data for the following
situation:
  The whole system consists of about 400 machines and I have to develop a
program collecting the
information about capacity and performance and networt setting and so on of
each machines and
displaying them for the administrators and some related guys. Moreover, I
have to store some
history data to display graphes and curvers. My design is as follows: one
daemon process running on
each machine to collect data and send it to the database which is in one
specified machine.
The bad thing is that the size of database is asked to be resricted in 900MB
for some reasons.
The questions are:
 (a) Is it appropriate to use postgresql database in this case? If not, any
sugguestion will be appreciated.
     In fact considered using common file to store data. but you know, it is
possible that daemon processes
   on other 399 machines send data simultaneously, ...

 (b) It seems hard to estimate the maximum size of the database, because
frequently updating and
inserting opreations will cause unused space not acclaiming in time and we
have to routinely vaccum.
Is there any good and easy, :) way to estimate the maximum size of
postgresql database accurately?

Best regards,
Duan

--