Re: defining Your own sort order for already compiled PostgreSQL

От Robin Iddon
Тема Re: defining Your own sort order for already compiled PostgreSQL
Дата
Ответ на defining Your own sort order for already compiled PostgreSQL (because PSQL sort orders are incopatible with ASCII sort order for non -alpha characters)  (Adam Radlowski <adamr@informatyka.gdansk.pl>)
Список pgsql-admin
Adam Radlowski wrote:
> I can't find in the documentation, if it is possible to define our own
> sort order for already compiled PostgreSQL.
> I need it, because the best for my now building application were be to
> build sort with normal LATIN2 sort order (for non alphanumeric chars
> compatible with ASCII sort order).
> I saw in the "configure" file, that it is possible to define, what is
> alpha, what is number and so on, but it is inpossible to
> administrators of ready for use systems to - always recompile
> PostgreSQL for only one application.
> With greetings
> Adam

Adam,

I am not sure I completely understand what you're trying to do -
however, initdb can set the locale for a cluster including setting
specific locales for collation (which is what I think you want to do).
I suppose you can invent your own locale if you need some special sort
order.

These choices are frozen for the cluster (except that you can change the
encoding for a specific database within the cluster, but that isn't
going to do what you want, which is change the sort order).

So, if you can re-run initdb then you can do what you want without
recompiling.

See "man initdb" ...

Hope this helps,

Robin