Re: Problems upgrading from 7.1.3

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Problems upgrading from 7.1.3
Дата
Re: Problems upgrading from 7.1.3  (Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah@trade-india.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
Geoffrey Wossum <geoffrey@pager.net> writes:
> I then took that file over to test machine running PostgreSQL 7.3.1,

Er, how did you copy the file over exactly?

This smells to me like it could be a newline-formatting problem (COPY is
pretty picky about its newlines).  If you passed the file through
anything that might choose to convert Unix newlines to DOS newlines,
you would have that problem.

BTW, the very best way to do this sort of upgrade is to use the newer
version's pg_dump (ie, 7.3.1's pg_dump) to extract data from the older
server.  The newer pg_dump will know how to apply any SQL compatibility
adjustments that might be appropriate.  I do not think that will make
any difference to a COPY-data-format problem, but it could help for
other things.