Re: Problems upgrading from 7.1.3

От Geoffrey Wossum
Тема Re: Problems upgrading from 7.1.3
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wednesday 05 February 2003 01:12 pm, Tom Lane wrote:

> Er, how did you copy the file over exactly?

scp

> This smells to me like it could be a newline-formatting problem (COPY is
> pretty picky about its newlines).  If you passed the file through
> anything that might choose to convert Unix newlines to DOS newlines,
> you would have that problem.

No, looking at the file on the machine I dumped it on, there really are '\N's
in it.  And adding explicit "WITH NULL AS '\N'" clauses to the COPY's didn't
help any either.

Bjoern suggested I add "-d" or "-D" to the pg_dump/pg_dumpall command line,
which worked flawlessly, although recreating the database was a bit slow.

> BTW, the very best way to do this sort of upgrade is to use the newer
> version's pg_dump (ie, 7.3.1's pg_dump) to extract data from the older
> server.  The newer pg_dump will know how to apply any SQL compatibility
> adjustments that might be appropriate.  I do not think that will make
> any difference to a COPY-data-format problem, but it could help for
> other things.

I originally used 7.3.1's pg_dumpall to dump the 7.1.3's database as
recommended in the admin manual, but had the same result.  Maybe I forgot to
mention that in my original email.  There were a lot of combinations I had to
mention ^_^

Thanks,
---
Geoffrey Wossum