Problems upgrading from 7.1.3

От Geoffrey Wossum
Тема Problems upgrading from 7.1.3
Дата
Problems upgrading from 7.1.3
Список pgsql-admin
Hi all,

I have a database cluster running on PostgreSQL 7.1.3 compiled from source, on
Debian Linux. I want to upgrade the cluster to PostgreSQL 7.3.x.

In order to get the data over, I ran: PGUSER=postgres
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dumpall > survey1.sql on the production machine
running 7.1.3.

I then took that file over to test machine running PostgreSQL 7.3.1, and ran:
PGUSER=postgres /usr/local/pgsql-7.3.1/bin/psql -d template1 -f survey1.sql

I got lots of errors about "Invalid command \N" in the COPY xxx FROM
statements, and most of the tables were completely empty.

I then tried:
PGUSER=postgres /usr/local/pgsql-7.3.1/bin/psql -d template1 < survey1.sql
and got the same results.

Next, I tried upgrading to 7.2.4 as an intermediate step, but 7.2.4 gave the
same "Invalid command \N" errors.

So then I then tried the pg_dump from 7.3.1 and 7.2.4 on the 7.1.3 database,
and then restoring into the respective server. This still gave the same
errors.

I also tried editing the dump file, adding explicit "WITH NULL AS '\N'"
clauses to each COPY statement. Same result still.

Does anyone have ideas on what's going on here? Am I doing something wrong? Is
there a step I'm missing?  A google search revealed somebody with a similar
problem upgrading from 6.5.x a year ago, but there didn't seem to be any
resolution to it.

TIA,
---
Geoffrey Wossum