Re: Problems upgrading from 7.1.3

От Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Тема Re: Problems upgrading from 7.1.3
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

Hmmm I face the same problem and it got solved.

In my case the message  "Invalid command \N" was coming
during COPY command execution when some other SQL command had
failed prior to COPY execution. ie the COPY command and data
in that part were perfectly fine.

how i came to know abt it was by redirecting STDERR to a seperate
file while restoring and carefully going thru it after the
errors started to come.

you can do something like.

PGUSER=postgres /usr/local/pgsql-7.3.1/bin/psql -d template1 < survey1.sql  2 > errors

regds
mallah.

On Thursday 06 February 2003 12:42 am, Tom Lane wrote:
> Geoffrey Wossum <geoffrey@pager.net> writes:
> > I then took that file over to test machine running PostgreSQL 7.3.1,
>
> Er, how did you copy the file over exactly?
>
> This smells to me like it could be a newline-formatting problem (COPY is
> pretty picky about its newlines).  If you passed the file through
> anything that might choose to convert Unix newlines to DOS newlines,
> you would have that problem.
>
> BTW, the very best way to do this sort of upgrade is to use the newer
> version's pg_dump (ie, 7.3.1's pg_dump) to extract data from the older
> server.  The newer pg_dump will know how to apply any SQL compatibility
> adjustments that might be appropriate.  I do not think that will make
> any difference to a COPY-data-format problem, but it could help for
> other things.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Regds
Mallah

Rajesh Kumar Mallah,
Project Manager (Development)
Infocom Network Limited, New Delhi
phone: +91(11)6152172 (221) (L) ,9811255597 (M)

Visit http://www.trade-india.com ,
India's Leading B2B eMarketplace.