Re: operator varchar = integer

От David Fetter
Тема Re: operator varchar = integer
Дата
Re: operator varchar = integer
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 05:26:40PM +0200, Daniel Schuchardt wrote:
> David Fetter schrieb:
>> That technical debt is a risk to your whole project, and you need
>> to dedicate resources to paying it down.
>>
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_debt>
>>
>> There are ways to get those automated casts, but they will only
>> make your situation worse in the long run.
>
> *g* interesting standpoint and your right but:

No buts.  If you create those automated casts, you are just putting
off the inevitable.

> it is impossible for us to find all the points where the new 8.3
> behavoir would crash at the first time. so our next versions would
> be very buggy and our customers wouldn't be happy ;-) the next
> problem is that our service personal has to be traineed too; they
> dont know much about casting, 81 does it automatically; problems
> problems problems.
>
> if it is not possible (i know it is) ;-) to recreate automatic casts
> in 83 we would not be able to upgrade to 83 the next years. the next
> possible date would be in about 3-4 years with the next major
> release.

You're just confirming the fact that your project is in existential
trouble.

> PS:
> our db has about 500 functions, 300 tables, 1000 indexes, 1200 Views
> that all use implicit casting.  and: everything is working fine ;-)
> :-P

How do you know?  8.3 removed the implicit casts precisely because
they were producing results that could most generously be describe as
"surprising."

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!