Re: operator varchar = integer

От Daniel Schuchardt
Тема Re: operator varchar = integer
Дата
Re: operator varchar = integer
Список pgsql-general
David Fetter schrieb:
> That technical debt is a risk to your whole project, and you need to
> dedicate resources to paying it down.
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_debt>
>
> There are ways to get those automated casts, but they will only make
> your situation worse in the long run.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

*g* interesting standpoint and your right but:

it is impossible for us to find all the points where the new 8.3
behavoir would crash at the first time. so our next versions would be
very buggy and our customers wouldn't be happy ;-)
the next problem is that our service personal has to be traineed too;
they dont know much about casting, 81 does it automatically; problems
problems problems.

if it is not possible (i know it is) ;-) to recreate automatic casts in
83 we would not be able to upgrade to 83 the next years. the next
possible date would be in about 3-4 years with the next major release.

PS:
our db has about 500 functions, 300 tables, 1000 indexes, 1200 Views
that all use implicit casting.
and: everything is working fine ;-) :-P

so we have to choose another way.

cheers.