Re: operator varchar = integer

От Daniel Schuchardt
Тема Re: operator varchar = integer
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> No buts.  If you create those automated casts, you are just putting
> off the inevitable.

yes but than it will become a future project. (i think with postgres 8,5
or 8,6 :-P )

> You're just confirming the fact that your project is in existential
> trouble.

no, we would get trouble if we upgrade. now everybody is happy :-).
btw: our first software release was with postgres 7.3 and since this
time we use this feature (about 6 years?).
> How do you know?  8.3 removed the implicit casts precisely because
> they were producing results that could most generously be describe as
> "surprising."

yeah thats an old discussion. we know about this and so we look for it.
it is a powerfull feature in 81 (and earlier) and yes if you use it in
the wrong way it will produce "surprising" results but if you use it in
the right way it is very powerfull. and if we get a suprising behavoir
we do in an explicit cast. done. ;-)
> Cheers,
> David.

daniel.

От: Andy Anderson
Сообщение: Re: bytea and character encoding when inserting escaped literals
От: Daniel Schuchardt
Сообщение: operator is not unique: integer || integer