Re: operator varchar = integer

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: operator varchar = integer
Дата
Список pgsql-general
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 05:26:40PM +0200, Daniel Schuchardt wrote:
>> our db has about 500 functions, 300 tables, 1000 indexes, 1200 Views
>> that all use implicit casting.  and: everything is working fine ;-)
>> :-P

> How do you know?  8.3 removed the implicit casts precisely because
> they were producing results that could most generously be describe as
> "surprising."

This should not be underestimated.  From the reports we've seen so far,
a very sizable fraction of people who find this kind of failure with 8.3
find out that their application was doing something unexpected in the
cases where it happened.  If you've got as many failures as you suggest,
I'd be willing to bet that some of them are bugs in your code, not just
reliance on an implicit feature.