Re: [HACKERS] Postgres-based system to run .org registry?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Postgres-based system to run .org registry?
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Postgres-based system to run .org registry?  ("Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar@persistent.co.in>)
Список pgsql-general
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 12:42:37PM -0700, David De Graff wrote:
>
> > Is this the same group that recently asked for input on their proposal,
> > which specified Postgres as the registry database?
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Yes, this is us.  (Sorry I've been inactive the last week.  I was on
> vacation.)

You host .org now.  No more vacations!  ;-)

> What follows is a strictly personal set of remarks.  I don't speak
> for Afilias, Liberty RMS, PIR, or ISOC.  I'm just some guy.  They
> don't even like me. ;-)
>
> I want to take the opportunity to thank everyone in the PostgreSQL
> community for the help they've offered, and for the fantastic
> software.  When I ask for help, the support I get is just tremendous,
> both for marketing efforts and for general Postgres operation
> questions I have.

It is a huge win.  I remember when Yahoo started using MySQL, and
Slashdot uses it;  well, this is the same, but bigger in many ways
because it is so pervasive.  You may not go to Yahoo, and most people
(non-techies) don't go to slashdot, but everyone uses .org names, so it
is the kind of universal calling card we need to take PostgreSQL to the
next level.

The past six months has seen huge improvements in PostgreSQL adoption;
much more than I expected.  The popularity of the software continues to
amaze me, and its market growth seems unstoppable at this point.

We are showing up in places I never expected:  .org registry, tons of
books, conventions, everywhere.  It is just a wave that keeps getting
bigger and bigger.  I am starting to imagine what Linus felt seeing
Linux take off;  you just sit around and wonder how it is all happening,
and of course, it is happening because you offer a unique value to
users, and their sharing with others just makes it continue to grow.

In one word:  Amazing!