Обсуждение: Postgres-based system to run .org registry?

Postgres-based system to run .org registry?

От
"David De Graff"
Дата:
The Internet Society (ISOC) won the bid to replace Verisign as the .org
registry. They're going to subcontract to Afilias, who has been running the
.info registry.

See:
http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-14oct02.htm
http://www.afilias.info/about_afilias/dotorg/index_html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23669-2002Oct14.html

Is this the same group that recently asked for input on their proposal,
which specified Postgres as the registry database?

(For some reason I can't find the recent thread on their proposal on the
hackers, general or admin lists.)

Dave De Graff

Re: Postgres-based system to run .org registry?

Дата:
"David De Graff" <postgresql@awarehouse.com> writes:
> The Internet Society (ISOC) won the bid to replace Verisign as the .org
> registry. They're going to subcontract to Afilias, who has been running the
> .info registry.

Cool.

> See:
> http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-14oct02.htm
> http://www.afilias.info/about_afilias/dotorg/index_html
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23669-2002Oct14.html

> Is this the same group that recently asked for input on their proposal,
> which specified Postgres as the registry database?

Yes, same bunch.  Andrew Sullivan, whose name you may have seen on the
lists, is the DBA for the .info registry; I suppose he will be running
the .org registry now too ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgres-based system to run .org registry?

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 12:42:37PM -0700, David De Graff wrote:

> Is this the same group that recently asked for input on their proposal,
> which specified Postgres as the registry database?

Hi everyone,

Yes, this is us.  (Sorry I've been inactive the last week.  I was on
vacation.)

What follows is a strictly personal set of remarks.  I don't speak
for Afilias, Liberty RMS, PIR, or ISOC.  I'm just some guy.  They
don't even like me. ;-)

I want to take the opportunity to thank everyone in the PostgreSQL
community for the help they've offered, and for the fantastic
software.  When I ask for help, the support I get is just tremendous,
both for marketing efforts and for general Postgres operation
questions I have.

This is a remarkable victory for PostgreSQL, by the way.  As you can
see if you check out the public forums and the various, publicly
posted remarks by various bidders (everything I know about in the
bidding is posted on the ICANN site), people were "gunning" for
PostgreSQL.  There were many suggestions that PostgreSQL wasn't up to
the job.  The Gartner Group, despite their natural tendency to be
suspicious of a thing "nobody else" is using, concluded that
PostgreSQL was not too big a risk.  That may sound like damning with
faint praise, when we all know that PostgreSQL can indeed handle this
sort of task.  But even such a hesitant endorsement from someone like
Gartner means that PostgreSQL is now regarded by the usual commercial
suspects as a "real" system.  I can't believe that's a bad thing.

I should note that we have had tremendous help from Geoff Davidson
and the rest of the crew at PostgreSQL, Inc., and that Justic Clift
has been totally indefatiguable in finding clever ways of promoting
PostgreSQL.  Thanks, guys.

I am very hopeful that this provides Liberty and Afilias with an
opportunity to make additional contributions to PostgreSQL.
Naturally, though, I don't know anything.  I'll keep lobbying.

I'm very proud to be associated with this development in PostgreSQL's
history.  It's only possible because of the PostgreSQL community: the
tireless efforts of the contributors, and the astounding support that
participants on lists like these give one another.  Thank you.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: [HACKERS] Postgres-based system to run .org registry?

Дата:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 12:42:37PM -0700, David De Graff wrote:
>
> > Is this the same group that recently asked for input on their proposal,
> > which specified Postgres as the registry database?
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Yes, this is us.  (Sorry I've been inactive the last week.  I was on
> vacation.)

You host .org now.  No more vacations!  ;-)

> What follows is a strictly personal set of remarks.  I don't speak
> for Afilias, Liberty RMS, PIR, or ISOC.  I'm just some guy.  They
> don't even like me. ;-)
>
> I want to take the opportunity to thank everyone in the PostgreSQL
> community for the help they've offered, and for the fantastic
> software.  When I ask for help, the support I get is just tremendous,
> both for marketing efforts and for general Postgres operation
> questions I have.

It is a huge win.  I remember when Yahoo started using MySQL, and
Slashdot uses it;  well, this is the same, but bigger in many ways
because it is so pervasive.  You may not go to Yahoo, and most people
(non-techies) don't go to slashdot, but everyone uses .org names, so it
is the kind of universal calling card we need to take PostgreSQL to the
next level.

The past six months has seen huge improvements in PostgreSQL adoption;
much more than I expected.  The popularity of the software continues to
amaze me, and its market growth seems unstoppable at this point.

We are showing up in places I never expected:  .org registry, tons of
books, conventions, everywhere.  It is just a wave that keeps getting
bigger and bigger.  I am starting to imagine what Linus felt seeing
Linux take off;  you just sit around and wonder how it is all happening,
and of course, it is happening because you offer a unique value to
users, and their sharing with others just makes it continue to grow.

In one word:  Amazing!

Re: [HACKERS] Postgres-based system to run .org registry?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
En Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:19:36 -0400 (EDT)
Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> escribió:

> We are showing up in places I never expected:  .org registry, tons of
> books, conventions, everywhere.  It is just a wave that keeps getting
> bigger and bigger.  I am starting to imagine what Linus felt seeing
> Linux take off;  you just sit around and wonder how it is all happening,
> and of course, it is happening because you offer a unique value to
> users, and their sharing with others just makes it continue to grow.
>
> In one word:  Amazing!

This is not without good reason.  PostgreSQL has shown repeatedly to be
an excellent product, able to compete with most commercial products.
I've just been asked to give a little administration course for people
in an government organization, where Oracle has been disregarded for
giving little gain over what PostgreSQL gives.  I am pleased to have
done such a good decision to stick with PostgreSQL a couple years ago.

I will just continue with my crusade here, where everything appears to
be only Oracle and just a little MySQL.

Of course none of this would be possible without the excellent quality
of the work people here does.  If there is something to be amazed at is
the people, their commitment and the quality of their work.  One can
only say a big "thanks!".

Thou shalt study thy libraries and strive not to reinvent them without
cause, that thy code may be short and readable and thy days pleasant
and productive. (7th Commandment for C Programmers)

Re: [HACKERS] Postgres-based system to run .org registry?

От
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Дата:
On 15 Oct 2002 at 18:19, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> We are showing up in places I never expected:  .org registry, tons of
> books, conventions, everywhere.  It is just a wave that keeps getting
> bigger and bigger.  I am starting to imagine what Linus felt seeing
> Linux take off;  you just sit around and wonder how it is all happening,
> and of course, it is happening because you offer a unique value to
> users, and their sharing with others just makes it continue to grow.

Sigh.. I wish enough people could understand difference between cost and value
and more importantly apply the understanding while making a judgement..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
I'm a soldier, not a diplomat.  I can only tell the truth.        -- Kirk, "Errand of
Mercy", stardate 3198.9