Re: Postgres-based system to run .org registry?

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Postgres-based system to run .org registry?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 12:42:37PM -0700, David De Graff wrote:

> Is this the same group that recently asked for input on their proposal,
> which specified Postgres as the registry database?

Hi everyone,

Yes, this is us.  (Sorry I've been inactive the last week.  I was on
vacation.)

What follows is a strictly personal set of remarks.  I don't speak
for Afilias, Liberty RMS, PIR, or ISOC.  I'm just some guy.  They
don't even like me. ;-)

I want to take the opportunity to thank everyone in the PostgreSQL
community for the help they've offered, and for the fantastic
software.  When I ask for help, the support I get is just tremendous,
both for marketing efforts and for general Postgres operation
questions I have.

This is a remarkable victory for PostgreSQL, by the way.  As you can
see if you check out the public forums and the various, publicly
posted remarks by various bidders (everything I know about in the
bidding is posted on the ICANN site), people were "gunning" for
PostgreSQL.  There were many suggestions that PostgreSQL wasn't up to
the job.  The Gartner Group, despite their natural tendency to be
suspicious of a thing "nobody else" is using, concluded that
PostgreSQL was not too big a risk.  That may sound like damning with
faint praise, when we all know that PostgreSQL can indeed handle this
sort of task.  But even such a hesitant endorsement from someone like
Gartner means that PostgreSQL is now regarded by the usual commercial
suspects as a "real" system.  I can't believe that's a bad thing.

I should note that we have had tremendous help from Geoff Davidson
and the rest of the crew at PostgreSQL, Inc., and that Justic Clift
has been totally indefatiguable in finding clever ways of promoting
PostgreSQL.  Thanks, guys.

I am very hopeful that this provides Liberty and Afilias with an
opportunity to make additional contributions to PostgreSQL.
Naturally, though, I don't know anything.  I'll keep lobbying.

I'm very proud to be associated with this development in PostgreSQL's
history.  It's only possible because of the PostgreSQL community: the
tireless efforts of the contributors, and the astounding support that
participants on lists like these give one another.  Thank you.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110