Re: Explicit psqlrc

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Explicit psqlrc
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 07:06 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> To me, the definition of a fair shake is that people get 4-5 days to
> respond to review comments.  This patch has had 33.  It's not unfair
> to anyone to say, you know, since you didn't get around to updating
> this patch for over a month, you'll need to resubmit the updated
> version to the next CommitFest.  If we have the resources to review
> and commit a late resubmission of some particular patch, that is
> great.  But as of today, we still have 32 patches that need to be
> reviewed, many of which do not have a reviewer assigned or which have
> a reviewer assigned but have not yet had an initial review.  Since
> there are 26 days left in the CommitFest and many of those patches
> will need multiple rounds of review and much discussion before we
> decide whether to commit them, send them back for rework, or reject
> them outright, that's pretty scary.  To me, that's where we should be
> focusing our effort.

So focus your effort by leaving this alone until the end of the CF.
Actively terminating things early doesn't help at all with the review
work you mention above, but it looks good if we are measuring "cases
resolved per day". Are we measuring that? If so, why? Who cares?

Just leave them, and if no action at end of CF, boot them then. Saves
loads of time on chasing up on people, interpreting what they say,
worrying about it and minor admin.

Closing early gains us nothing, though might close the door on useful
work in progress. Net expected benefit is negative from acting early.

-- Simon Riggs           www.2ndQuadrant.comPostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services