Re: Explicit psqlrc

От David Christensen
Тема Re: Explicit psqlrc
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Jul 21, 2010, at 9:42 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>> On tis, 2010-07-20 at 11:48 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>>> It's tempting to propose making .psqlrc apply only in interactive
>>> mode, period.  But that would be an incompatibility with previous
>>> releases, and I'm not sure it's the behavior we want, either.
>>
>> What is a use case for having .psqlrc be read in noninteractive use?
>
> Well, for example, if I hate the new ASCII format with a fiery passion
> that can never be quenched (and, by the way, I do), then I'd like this
> to apply:
>
> \pset linestyle old-ascii
>
> Even when I do this:
>
> psql -c '...whatever...'

Well, tossing out two possible solutions:

1) .psqlrc + .psql_profile (kinda like how bash separates out the interactive/non-interactive parts).  Kinda yucky, but
it'sa working solution.

2) have a flag which explicitly includes the psqlrc file in non-interactive use (perhaps if -x is available, use it for
theanalogue to -X).

Regards,

David
--