Re: PostgreSQL in mission-critical system

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: PostgreSQL in mission-critical system
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 19:39, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 12:20:22PM -0500, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> > Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>
> > > PostgreSQL maintainer (Oliver Elphick) for Debian is very quick to
> > > release .debs for stable for the most recent PostgreSQL release.  So
> >
> > I'm puzzled by that comment.  Stable has 6.5.3 right now.  The
>
> Sorry, I should have been clearer.  You need to visit Mr Elphick's
> page to get it:
>
>     <http://people.debian.org/~elphick/postgresql/index.html>
>
> Debian's policy is very clear that a new version of a package cannot
> go into frozen (or statble) after the freeze.  Backported bugfixes
> can be introduced (I get the impression that a few exceptions have
> been made for some packages, but it seems pretty rare), but not new
> versions.  Some package maintainers (Mr Elphick and the X package
> maintainers among them) are willing to provide unofficial upgrade
> packages for the stable branch, however.

Regrettably, I am not as up-to-date as you believe.  The main reason is
that the package doesn't build without changes on potato and I am too
short of time to do anything about it.  Besides that, we're all waiting
for woody to become the new stable release - we've been holding our
breath since 1st May :-(  and I'm not keen to put effort into something
that's almost dead.  Lastly, anyone that cares about keeping up-to-date
will probably be running woody anyway.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "But my God shall supply all your need according to his
      riches in glory by Christ Jesus."     Philippians 4:19