Re: PostgreSQL in mission-critical system

От Chris Albertson
Тема Re: PostgreSQL in mission-critical system
Дата
Список pgsql-general
As I use the word, I'd say lets identify all the issues you
need to build a system you can count on 24x7:

1) You need good hardware AND backup plan for when it does fail
2) You need a source of uninterruptable power and a backup for
   that too as UPSes fail.
3) You need a connection to the Internet and again a backup.
10) You need a person who can setup and repair screwed up database
software...because the software _will_ mess up.

They are all just "issues" that need to be addressed

For the case of the guy asking the question #10 may be hard
as it is pretty clear _he_ has ZERO experiance with PostgreSQL.
So he either need to wait 'till he has some or find someone else.
The problem is with _him_ using Postgresql not withthe DBMS itself.

--- Neil Conway <nconway@klamath.dyndns.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 09:40:52AM -0700, Chris Albertson wrote:
> > That's _exactly_ what I said.  "Either know the stuff yourself
> > or find someone who does."
>
> Yes -- which is why I'm curious to know why you regard it as an
> "issue". To me, saying "xxx is an 'issue' when using PostgreSQL"
> indicates that "xxx" is a weakness or problem that needs to be
> worked around. There are plenty of people to choose from for
> commercial support -- thus making it not an "issue".
>
> Anyway, it sounds like we agree with one another...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Neil
>
> --
> Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>