Re: about middleware over postgreSQL....

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: about middleware over postgreSQL....
Дата
Список pgsql-general

>I don't now if PHP is able to build a well distribuited app,  say, an app
>with the presentation, middleware and data layers well diferentiated. Isn't
>it?

PHP is a full fledged language and can do anything that any other
language can do. The largest difference is that your presentation media
is the web. As long as your application can use the web as the
presentation media you can use PHP.

>Is the LXP transactional  and  scalable. ?  In that case, I could code my
>middleware on C++, directly attacking the postgreSQL database without any
>drivers, like jdbc ?

LXP scales very well and supports PostgreSQL transactions. Basically (at
least from our experience) LXP can take anything you throw at it, and as
long as PostgreSQL and your OS can handle it, your all set. However, LXP
is also a web presentation language.

LXP is provides true persistence to PostgreSQL. Here is an example of
how to pull results from PostgreSQL and LXP.

<lxp>
 <!-- select all my employees and their phone numbers from our employee
table -->
    <include sql="SELECT employee_firstname, employee_lastname,
phone_number FROM employees">
        First Name:
        <field name="employee_firstname">
        Last Name:
        <field name="employee_lastname">
        Phone Number:
        <field name="phone_number">
   </include>
</lxp>

This will pull everything out and display write to the web browser. Very
simple. Very powerful.

LXP allows the loading (as of 0.9) of share objects in C++ so you could
write custom functionality. You also don't need any special driver for
PostgreSQL because LXP ships with everything.

The nice things about all of it, is that LXP will work with
C++/C/Java/Perl anything you want. So if you need to do something in
another language you can.

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake

От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: upgrade 7.1.x -> 7.2.x
От: Chris Albertson
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL in mission-critical system