Re: PostgreSQL in mission-critical system

От Chris Albertson
Тема Re: PostgreSQL in mission-critical system
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL in mission-critical system  (Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info>)
Список pgsql-general
I'm using it in a semi-critical application.  That is, it
holds importat infomation but is not real-time.  SO I can
fix screw-ups and no one dies.

Support is going to be an issue.  Either you need to be a long-time
PostgreSQL user (I have been from 1994, Remember Postgres-95?)
an can fix most problems are find work arounds myself. or find
someone you is.

PostgreSQL is quite reliable __IF__ (and only if) you test, test,
and re-test you application and avoid of work aroundAny problems
with ostgresql you run in to. AND you avoid "version upgrade adiction"

Pick a Computer and OS that has good "up time" too.  I'm a big
fan of Solaris/SPARC but others work.

Most of the above would apply to Oracle as well

--- Rune Teigen <rune.teigen@ikke-tull.vision-consulting.no> wrote:
> We are currently designing a system for a client, where the database
> will
> hold mission-critical information, dealing with money. Needless to
> say the
> requirement on the database are very high, particularly regarding
> data
> safety and reliability. In production we see that we will probably
> need a
> solution with two databases running in the same state.
>
> The system architecture will be based on J2EE with a JBoss
> application
> server.
>
> Any views on the suitability of PostgreSQL for this task? Should we
> rather
> go for a commercial solution? Any experience?
>
> rgds,
> Rune

majordomo@postgresql.org

=====