Обсуждение: Would it be helpful for share the patch merge result from cfbot

Would it be helpful for share the patch merge result from cfbot

От
Andy Fan
Дата:
Currently when people want to review a patch, they have to download / apply /
maintain the branch manually.  Would it be helpful that the reviewer can just
git fetch a remote branch where all the things have been done already. I know
that such cost saving is small, but it is a startup cost, so personally I think it is
a good place to improve. Since we already maintain such remote git repo at cbfot,
so can we just expose such URL for each item in commitfest then things would be done?

At the bottom of cfbot, we have words "Please send feedback to thomas munro",
so I added Tomas in the cc list.

--
Best Regards
Andy Fan

Re: Would it be helpful for share the patch merge result from cfbot

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 2:32 PM Andy Fan <zhihui.fan1213@gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently when people want to review a patch, they have to download / apply /
> maintain the branch manually.  Would it be helpful that the reviewer can just
> git fetch a remote branch where all the things have been done already. I know
> that such cost saving is small, but it is a startup cost, so personally I think it is
> a good place to improve. Since we already maintain such remote git repo at cbfot,
> so can we just expose such URL for each item in commitfest then things would be done?
>
> At the bottom of cfbot, we have words "Please send feedback to thomas munro",
> so I added Tomas in the cc list.

Hi Andy,

Try this:

git remote add cfbot https://github.com/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql.git
git fetch cfbot commitfest/30/2785
git checkout commitfest/30/2785

Re: Would it be helpful for share the patch merge result from cfbot

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 2:51 PM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 2:32 PM Andy Fan <zhihui.fan1213@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Currently when people want to review a patch, they have to download / apply /
> > maintain the branch manually.  Would it be helpful that the reviewer can just
> > git fetch a remote branch where all the things have been done already. I know
> > that such cost saving is small, but it is a startup cost, so personally I think it is
> > a good place to improve. Since we already maintain such remote git repo at cbfot,
> > so can we just expose such URL for each item in commitfest then things would be done?
> >
> > At the bottom of cfbot, we have words "Please send feedback to thomas munro",
> > so I added Tomas in the cc list.
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> Try this:
>
> git remote add cfbot https://github.com/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql.git
> git fetch cfbot commitfest/30/2785
> git checkout commitfest/30/2785

Also, you might like this way of grabbing and applying all the patches
from an archives link and applying them:

$ cat ~/bin/fetch-all-patches.sh
#!/bin/sh
for P in ` curl -s $1 | grep "\.patch" | sed 's|^ *<a
href="|https://www.postgresql.org|;s|".*||' ` ; do
  echo $P
  curl -s -O $P
done
$ ~/bin/fetch-all-patches.sh
'https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20200718201532.GV23581@telsasoft.com'

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112541/v21-0001-Document-historic-behavior-of-links-to-directori.patch
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112542/v21-0002-pg_stat_file-and-pg_ls_dir_-to-use-lstat.patch
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112543/v21-0003-Add-tests-on-pg_ls_dir-before-changing-it.patch

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112544/v21-0004-Add-pg_ls_dir_metadata-to-list-a-dir-with-file-m.patch

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112545/v21-0005-pg_ls_tmpdir-to-show-directories-and-isdir-argum.patch
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112546/v21-0006-pg_ls_-dir-to-show-directories-and-isdir-column.patch
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112547/v21-0007-Add-pg_ls_dir_recurse-to-show-dir-recursively.patch

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112548/v21-0008-pg_ls_logdir-to-ignore-error-if-initial-top-dir-.patch

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112549/v21-0009-pg_ls_-dir-to-return-all-the-metadata-from-pg_st.patch
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112550/v21-0010-pg_ls_-to-show-file-type-and-show-special-files.patch
$ git am v21-*.patch

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 9:58 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 2:51 PM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 2:32 PM Andy Fan <zhihui.fan1213@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Currently when people want to review a patch, they have to download / apply /
> > maintain the branch manually.  Would it be helpful that the reviewer can just
> > git fetch a remote branch where all the things have been done already. I know
> > that such cost saving is small, but it is a startup cost, so personally I think it is
> > a good place to improve. Since we already maintain such remote git repo at cbfot,
> > so can we just expose such URL for each item in commitfest then things would be done?
> >
> > At the bottom of cfbot, we have words "Please send feedback to thomas munro",
> > so I added Tomas in the cc list.
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> Try this:
>
> git remote add cfbot https://github.com/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql.git
> git fetch cfbot commitfest/30/2785
> git checkout commitfest/30/2785

Also, you might like this way of grabbing and applying all the patches
from an archives link and applying them:

$ cat ~/bin/fetch-all-patches.sh
#!/bin/sh
for P in ` curl -s $1 | grep "\.patch" | sed 's|^ *<a
href="|https://www.postgresql.org|;s|".*||' ` ; do
  echo $P
  curl -s -O $P
done
$ ~/bin/fetch-all-patches.sh
'https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20200718201532.GV23581@telsasoft.com'
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112541/v21-0001-Document-historic-behavior-of-links-to-directori.patch
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112542/v21-0002-pg_stat_file-and-pg_ls_dir_-to-use-lstat.patch
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112543/v21-0003-Add-tests-on-pg_ls_dir-before-changing-it.patch
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112544/v21-0004-Add-pg_ls_dir_metadata-to-list-a-dir-with-file-m.patch
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112545/v21-0005-pg_ls_tmpdir-to-show-directories-and-isdir-argum.patch
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112546/v21-0006-pg_ls_-dir-to-show-directories-and-isdir-column.patch
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112547/v21-0007-Add-pg_ls_dir_recurse-to-show-dir-recursively.patch
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112548/v21-0008-pg_ls_logdir-to-ignore-error-if-initial-top-dir-.patch
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112549/v21-0009-pg_ls_-dir-to-return-all-the-metadata-from-pg_st.patch
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/112550/v21-0010-pg_ls_-to-show-file-type-and-show-special-files.patch
$ git am v21-*.patch

This is exactly what I want and more than that.  Thank you Thomas!

--
Best Regards
Andy Fan

Re: Would it be helpful for share the patch merge result from cfbot

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 09:31:57AM +0800, Andy Fan wrote:
> Currently when people want to review a patch, they have to download / apply
> / maintain the branch manually.  Would it be helpful that the reviewer can
> just git fetch a remote branch where all the things have been done already. I
> know that such cost saving is small, but it is a startup cost, so personally I
> think it is a good place to improve. Since we already maintain such remote git repo at
> cbfot, so can we just expose such URL for each item in commitfest then things
> would be done?
>
> At the bottom of cfbot, we have words "Please send feedback to thomas
> munro", so I added Tomas in the cc list.

It seems to me that this problem is not completely related to the CF
bot, no?  Automated testing and fetching from a mirror repository
that's automated to fetch patches from the mailing list and apply them
on some custom branches looks like something entirely independent to
me.  Saying that, having something like that may be nice to have,
assuming that we also find a way to track in this repo patches that
are not able to apply correctly, meaning that we could forcibly apply
the patches with the conflicts included in what's committed in the
test branch.  In terms of my own experience as CFM, I don't think that
this would be really helpful for the CF manager, but for reviewers or
newcomers, that could help in getting involved into the CF.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Would it be helpful for share the patch merge result from cfbot

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 11:05:34AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> It seems to me that this problem is not completely related to the CF
> bot, no?  Automated testing and fetching from a mirror repository
> that's automated to fetch patches from the mailing list and apply them
> on some custom branches looks like something entirely independent to
> me.  Saying that, having something like that may be nice to have,
> assuming that we also find a way to track in this repo patches that
> are not able to apply correctly, meaning that we could forcibly apply
> the patches with the conflicts included in what's committed in the
> test branch.  In terms of my own experience as CFM, I don't think that
> this would be really helpful for the CF manager, but for reviewers or
> newcomers, that could help in getting involved into the CF.

Please forget that, I just noticed Thomas' replies.

/me hides
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Would it be helpful for share the patch merge result from cfbot

От
Kyotaro Horiguchi
Дата:
At Fri, 23 Oct 2020 10:01:14 +0800, Andy Fan <zhihui.fan1213@gmail.com> wrote in
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 9:58 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Try this:
> > >
> > > git remote add cfbot https://github.com/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql.git
> > > git fetch cfbot commitfest/30/2785
> > > git checkout commitfest/30/2785
> >
> > Also, you might like this way of grabbing and applying all the patches
> > from an archives link and applying them:
> >
> > $ cat ~/bin/fetch-all-patches.sh
> > #!/bin/sh
> > for P in ` curl -s $1 | grep "\.patch" | sed 's|^ *<a
> > href="|https://www.postgresql.org|;s|".*||' ` ; do
> >   echo $P
> >   curl -s -O $P
> > done
> > $ ~/bin/fetch-all-patches.sh
> > '
> > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20200718201532.GV23581@telsasoft.com
> > '
>

> This is exactly what I want and more than that.  Thank you Thomas!

That's awfully useful. Thanks for sharing!

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center