Обсуждение: PostgreSQL on Windows' state

PostgreSQL on Windows' state

От
Alessandro Dentella
Дата:
Hi,

disclaimer: I've never been a Windows user and I send this email just on behalf
of a friend that has problems convincing his team to use PostgreSQL.

I'd like to understand if what the team replies to him is correct or not.

The final project should work with Python (we know it just works) and with c#.
The team states that:

  "It does not exist a native driver. You need to use ODBC, that is an old
  technology and doesn't give warranties in terms of security, reliability and
  performance."

Is it any true? is it biased?

Thanks in advance for any hints a link to be read

sandro

--
Sandro Dentella  *:-)
http://wikidattica.org             Flashcard per la didattica

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows' state

От
Pavel Stehule

disclaimer: I've never been a Windows user and I send this email just on behalf
of a friend that has problems convincing his team to use PostgreSQL.

I'd like to understand if what the team replies to him is correct or not.

The final project should work with Python (we know it just works) and with c#.
The team states that:

  "It does not exist a native driver. You need to use ODBC, that is an old
  technology and doesn't give warranties in terms of security, reliability and
  performance."

Is it any true? is it biased?

So minimally psycopg2 - native driver for Python exists for Win

Thanks in advance for any hints a link to be read

sandro

--
Sandro Dentella  *:-)
http://wikidattica.org             Flashcard per la didattica
http://trepalchi.it                Il portale degli artisti
http://sqlkit.argolinux.org        SQLkit home page - PyGTK/python/sqlalchemy

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows' state

От
Alessandro Dentella
Дата:
On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 12:21:39PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> st 23. 9. 2020 v 10:38 odesílatel Alessandro Dentella <
> sandro.dentella@gmail.com> napsal:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > disclaimer: I've never been a Windows user and I send this email just on
> > behalf
> > of a friend that has problems convincing his team to use PostgreSQL.
> >
> > I'd like to understand if what the team replies to him is correct or not.
> >
> > The final project should work with Python (we know it just works) and with
> > c#.
> > The team states that:
> >
> >   "It does not exist a native driver. You need to use ODBC, that is an old
> >   technology and doesn't give warranties in terms of security, reliability
> > and
> >   performance."
> >
> > Is it any true? is it biased?
> >

> https://kb.objectrocket.com/postgresql/how-to-install-psycopg2-in-windows-1460
>
> So minimally psycopg2 - native driver for Python exists for Win

Thanks Pavel, but psycopg2 (that I always use is just for Python). T
hey claim/complain that from c# there's no native solution.

Personally I don't know even if ODBC is really to be considered a second class
choice. It sounds awkward to me that such a great db has flaws like this (I'm
NOT stating it *has* flaws)

sandro

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows' state

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:

Maybe https://www.npgsql.org/?

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows' state

От
Thomas Kellerer

Alessandro Dentella schrieb am 23.09.2020 um 10:37:

> Hi,
>
> disclaimer: I've never been a Windows user and I send this email just on behalf
> of a friend that has problems convincing his team to use PostgreSQL.
>
> I'd like to understand if what the team replies to him is correct or not.
>
> The final project should work with Python (we know it just works) and with c#.
> The team states that:
>
>    "It does not exist a native driver. You need to use ODBC, that is an old
>    technology and doesn't give warranties in terms of security, reliability and
>    performance."

Doesn't c# use .Net connectors?

    https://www.npgsql.org/

Microsoft did change their strategy regarding ODBC, MDAC, OLE DB several times.
Including deprecating and un-deprecating OLE DB as well as ODBC.

Currently, I don't think ODBC can be seen as an "old technology", nor is it
deprecated.

The Postgres ODBC driver is well maintained and I don't see a reason not to use it.
https://odbc.postgresql.org/

Thomas

SV: PostgreSQL on Windows' state

От
Niels Jespersen
>disclaimer: I've never been a Windows user and I send this email just on behalf of a friend that has problems
convincinghis team to use PostgreSQL.

>I'd like to understand if what the team replies to him is correct or not.
>
>The final project should work with Python (we know it just works) and with c#.
>The team states that:
>
> "It does not exist a native driver. You need to use ODBC, that is an old
>  technology and doesn't give warranties in terms of security, reliability and
>  performance."
>
>Is it any true? is it biased?

We are using Postgres 11 and 12 on Windows. No issues.

A lot of the usage comes from Python/Psycopg2 and sometimes SQLAlchemy. Which all rock.

Some usage is from C# using npgsql. Most of which also uses Entity Framework (supported by npgsql). No issues, that I
haveheard of.

And some usage goes through ODBC. Which works fine. Except for bulk writes, but that is not the fault of Postgres ODBC
driver.That is a limitation of the ODBC architecture in general. Our ODBC usage is in environments where that is the
onlyoption.

Regards Niels

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows' state

От
raf
Дата:
On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 12:52:58PM +0200, Alessandro Dentella <sandro.dentella@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 12:21:39PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > st 23. 9. 2020 v 10:38 odesílatel Alessandro Dentella <
> > sandro.dentella@gmail.com> napsal:
> >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > disclaimer: I've never been a Windows user and I send this email just on
> > > behalf
> > > of a friend that has problems convincing his team to use PostgreSQL.
> > >
> > > I'd like to understand if what the team replies to him is correct or not.
> > >
> > > The final project should work with Python (we know it just works) and with
> > > c#.
> > > The team states that:
> > >
> > >   "It does not exist a native driver. You need to use ODBC, that is an old
> > >   technology and doesn't give warranties in terms of security, reliability
> > > and
> > >   performance."
> > >
> > > Is it any true? is it biased?
> > >

> > https://kb.objectrocket.com/postgresql/how-to-install-psycopg2-in-windows-1460
> >
> > So minimally psycopg2 - native driver for Python exists for Win
>
> Thanks Pavel, but psycopg2 (that I always use is just for Python). T
> hey claim/complain that from c# there's no native solution.
>
> Personally I don't know even if ODBC is really to be considered a second class
> choice. It sounds awkward to me that such a great db has flaws like this (I'm
> NOT stating it *has* flaws)
>
> sandro

Surely, it's a flaw in the C# ecosystem, not a flaw in the database?
(assuming it's true, and assuming there's anything wrong with ODBC). :-)

cheers,
raf

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows' state

От
Tony Shelver
Дата:
A quick Google search came up with this: https://www.npgsql.org.  No experience with it however.
We moved to Python just before we moved to Postgresql.  The key motivator for C# at the time is now more of a React / JS proponent....

Everything in our stack apart from 1 proprietary Java / Oracle system which is being slowly replaced is now open source, and just about all core components have well outlasted several Microsoft initiatives (Silverlight, VB, et al...).