Re: PostgreSQL on Windows' state

От Thomas Kellerer
Тема Re: PostgreSQL on Windows' state
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Alessandro Dentella schrieb am 23.09.2020 um 10:37:

> Hi,
>
> disclaimer: I've never been a Windows user and I send this email just on behalf
> of a friend that has problems convincing his team to use PostgreSQL.
>
> I'd like to understand if what the team replies to him is correct or not.
>
> The final project should work with Python (we know it just works) and with c#.
> The team states that:
>
>    "It does not exist a native driver. You need to use ODBC, that is an old
>    technology and doesn't give warranties in terms of security, reliability and
>    performance."

Doesn't c# use .Net connectors?

    https://www.npgsql.org/

Microsoft did change their strategy regarding ODBC, MDAC, OLE DB several times.
Including deprecating and un-deprecating OLE DB as well as ODBC.

Currently, I don't think ODBC can be seen as an "old technology", nor is it
deprecated.

The Postgres ODBC driver is well maintained and I don't see a reason not to use it.
https://odbc.postgresql.org/

Thomas