Re: PostgreSQL on Windows' state

От Tony Shelver
Тема Re: PostgreSQL on Windows' state
Дата
Список pgsql-general
A quick Google search came up with this: https://www.npgsql.org.  No experience with it however.
We moved to Python just before we moved to Postgresql.  The key motivator for C# at the time is now more of a React / JS proponent....

Everything in our stack apart from 1 proprietary Java / Oracle system which is being slowly replaced is now open source, and just about all core components have well outlasted several Microsoft initiatives (Silverlight, VB, et al...).

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 at 01:18, raf <raf@raf.org> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 12:52:58PM +0200, Alessandro Dentella <sandro.dentella@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 12:21:39PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > st 23. 9. 2020 v 10:38 odesílatel Alessandro Dentella <
> > sandro.dentella@gmail.com> napsal:
> >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > disclaimer: I've never been a Windows user and I send this email just on
> > > behalf
> > > of a friend that has problems convincing his team to use PostgreSQL.
> > >
> > > I'd like to understand if what the team replies to him is correct or not.
> > >
> > > The final project should work with Python (we know it just works) and with
> > > c#.
> > > The team states that:
> > >
> > >   "It does not exist a native driver. You need to use ODBC, that is an old
> > >   technology and doesn't give warranties in terms of security, reliability
> > > and
> > >   performance."
> > >
> > > Is it any true? is it biased?
> > >

> > https://kb.objectrocket.com/postgresql/how-to-install-psycopg2-in-windows-1460
> >
> > So minimally psycopg2 - native driver for Python exists for Win
>
> Thanks Pavel, but psycopg2 (that I always use is just for Python). T
> hey claim/complain that from c# there's no native solution.
>
> Personally I don't know even if ODBC is really to be considered a second class
> choice. It sounds awkward to me that such a great db has flaws like this (I'm
> NOT stating it *has* flaws)
>
> sandro

Surely, it's a flaw in the C# ecosystem, not a flaw in the database?
(assuming it's true, and assuming there's anything wrong with ODBC). :-)

cheers,
raf