Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?

От Tony Shelver
Тема Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?
Дата
Ответ на Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
Ответы Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?  (Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz>)
Список pgsql-general

On 9/23/20 11:51 AM, tutiluren@tutanota.com wrote:
>     Huh? A schema is just a name space, why does it matter how the
>     extension chooses to define it? I mean you could have number of
>     permutations of postgis.
>
> I'm saying that PostGIS has a bug due to incorrectly constructed
> internal queries which makes it impossible to properly name the schema
> where PostGIS is to reside, causing my database to look very ugly when
> it has to say "postgis" instead of "PostGIS" for PostGIS's schema. And
> that was an example of how sloppy/bad third-party things always are, and
> is one reason why I don't like it when I have to rely on "extensions".

Ummmm?   I have PostGIS installed in my core app schema, in part because at the time I didn't know what I was doing. Better to have been in  public...

You may also want to look at comparable ANSI (standards based) database products (Oracle for example) when it comes to the use of case in naming conventions.  Different products handle things in different ways.

You may want to google around the issue, for example https://postgis.net/2017/11/07/tip-move-postgis-schema/ for moving schemas.

You may want to do some research on where PostGIS comes from.  It could never have been developed as a core part of Postgres, so the fact that products like PostGIS are so domain specific.
The fact that the Postgesql extension system is so flexible and robust was probably a key factor in the choice it's choice in the development of PostGIS.

Effectively, you may lose a bit, but you gain a whole lot more.  My suggestion is 'live with it'.

Or, move to a product that suits your use cases / desires better, But, good luck finding another open source "free" (or any) product with the functionality, robusiness and performance of PostGIS / Postgresql.
We tried the MS SQLServer equivalent, the install and use there is way nastier than PostGIS.  Both the use and the performance sucked in comparison for our use cases.
MySQL's equivalent is nowhere near as functional, robust, as well documented or as widely used.

Oracle's equivalent is probably the closest.  Pity that installing Oracle and their products as a whole is a nightmare, and rather wallet-draining...

Have a look at GIS / Mapping projects around the world, a majority are implemented on PostGIS.  Openstreetmap is  probably the biggest (think open source version of Google Maps), and it moved to PostGIS from MySQL several years ago.
We did a lot of research into PostGIS, as GIS / tracking is a core part of our business.
We didn't find a product that could compare on
  • Maturity
  • Functionality
  • Performance
  • Cost